Author Topic: Looking for birth of Archibald Mackenzie approx 1835  (Read 5549 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for birth of Archibald Mackenzie approx 1835
« on: Wednesday 15 April 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
On his marriage certificate to Susan Scott (10 June 1856), Archibald MacKenzie states that his parents were Stephen Maxwell MacKenzie and Jane Bowie. Both parents were deceased at time of marriage. On SP I have found two marriages for Stephen, one to Jean Bowie in 1818 and one to Jane Borland in 1845. So given that Jane and Jean seem to be interchangeable, I am confident that I have found Archibald's parents marriage.
However I haven't been able to find Archibald's birth or baptism. I cannot find him with any certainty on a census to verify his age, but I believe he was born about 1835.
I have searched SP for all the Archibald M(a)ckenzies born between 1830 and 1835, but none has anything remotely like the correct parents. Should I conclude that he was never baptised? and there is no record to be found.
He later went to Ireland (I have posted on Ireland board) and have extensive data on what happened to the family there.   

Added

Just found Archibald on 1841 census with mother Jane and siblings. I've just seen he has a brother called Stephen, so the later marriage is likely to be his brother not father's second marriage.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth of Archibald Mackenzie approx 1835
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Should I conclude that he was never baptised? and there is no record to be found.

Not necessarily.

You can reasonably conclude either that no record was made of his baptism by the Church of Scotland, or that any record that was made by the Church of Scotland has not survived.

It is possible that they belonged to another denomination, for example Roman Catholic or Episcopalian, of one of the dissenting churches (but not the Free Church of Scotland, which only came into existence in 1843).

The RC records can be searched on SP. The episcopal ones could be almost anywhere - I'd start with the diocesan archives. Most of the surviving registers of other denominations are in the National Records of Scotland, but they are not available online and they are not indexed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Although all the records I have found later for this family in Ireland indicated they were Protestant, I did search the RC records on SP as well. But no luck.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Lizzie, this looks like a possible sister for Archibald https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYWH-T88

Unfortunately, only about a third of BMD events were registered in the Old Parish Registers (OPRs) pre 1855 and the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855  :-\

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 22:21 BST (UK) »

Just found Archibald on 1841 census with mother Jane and siblings. I've just seen he has a brother called Stephen, so the later marriage is likely to be his brother not father's second marriage.

Likely, as you thought, regarding the second entry you found for a marriage connected to a son of Stephen and Jane Bowie. From 1871:

Stephen Maxwell Mckinzie 48 Engine Fitter On Factory b. Glasgow
Jane Mckinzie 48
Margt Wood Mckinzie 21 daughter milliner b. Glasgow

Address: 17 Elderslie Street Glasgow/Anderston

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
If Archibald was also born in Glasgow c. 1835, there is this entry in 1851 as a possibility:

Archibald Mckenzie, head, 16, clerk, b. Glasgow
Address: 8 Canning Street, Barony

Monica

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
Lizzie, this looks like a possible sister for Archibald https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYWH-T88

Thank you, that definitely looks like his sister. There is a Jane with the family I found in 1841, a few years older than Archie. And I think I've found the MacFies in 1851, living at 291 High street, Linlithgow, with baby daughter also called Jane.

Archie as a 16 year old clerk in 1851 is certainly very likely. he was described as a ship broker on his marriage record, so may have been a clerk in that type of business. In 1861, I can only find his wife Susan and their oldest children in Scotland, I suspect he may have already gone to Ireland to start his own business. She joined him later and they had more children, including my great uncle in law.
They seem to be financially quite successful but it ended in tragedy when Archie tried to kill Susan on their 30th wedding anniversary and then shot himself. She recovered but he died.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 15 21:15 BST (UK) »

They seem to be financially quite successful but it ended in tragedy when Archie tried to kill Susan on their 30th wedding anniversary and then shot himself. She recovered but he died.

:'( Sad ending to their story really isn't it.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 April 15 21:21 BST (UK) »

...In 1861, I can only find his wife Susan and their oldest children in Scotland, I suspect he may have already gone to Ireland to start his own business. She joined him later and they had more children, including my great uncle in law.

They seem to have been children born in Scotland (and also Ireland) in the 1850s and 60s going by these entries https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Amckenzie~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Aarchibald~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Asusan~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Ascott~

Likely certainly in Ireland (Dublin) from the 1871 census onwards...

Monica  :)