Author Topic: Birth record in Lurgan without the mother's name  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth record in Lurgan without the mother's name
« on: Wednesday 15 April 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have written the archives in regards to searching for a Jane/Jean Gorman  abt 1875-1878 born Lurgan to William Gorman (he is listed as a tailor on his marriage Apr 2, 1877 and 1901 census 55 Lindsay St, Antrim) but I cannot find her birth record. She is the eldest child in the family but I am wondering now if her mother is another person and that William remarried to Elizabeth McGuinnis who was a minor at the time of her marriage and therefore is the reason why I cannot locate her birth record. I understand it is the birth mother who appears on the record. The only positive link I have is her father's name and his occupation to go by. How can I search for her birth possibly by her father's name only? Do I have any other options to consider?

Kindly,
Jmama

I have obtained her death record and burial record in Belfast City Cemetery. Her death record states she was born in 1874 at the time of her death but we all know that it could be an estimated guess by her husband Robert Lynas in 1931(year of her death).

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record in Lurgan without the mother's name
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
One possibility is the birth of Jane Maguiness in 1875 registered in Lurgan according to:

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

So far I have been unable to find this on this on the GRONI website.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 19:10 BST (UK) »

So far I have been unable to find this on this on the GRONI website.

That birth looks to be under MAGINNISS on 1.3.1875. Appears to have been legitimate. Father’s name Maginniss, mother’s mn Murray.

If a child was illegitimate, then only the mother’s name will appear on the birth certificate, unless the father was present at the registration and confirmed paternity.
Elwyn

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Maybe totally unconnected, but following on from Elwyn's post, I note the death record for a John Maginniss on 31 January 1876 aged 21 registered in Lurgan.  If he happened to be the father of Jane then you could begin to construct a story around how she ended up with "other" parents.

Pure speculation of course.  ???

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you gentleman for your insight on this. There is some interesting theories here to consider. I would have thought William Gorman the tailor would have been the father but possibly married previously and the birth mother died. This might explain why William could have married a second wife as he would have an infant on his hands that couldn't be cared for at work.  The possibility that Jane was born a McGuinness and her mummy being a minor at the time of her marriage would make sense. Elizabeth McGuinness's father was John McGuinness(abt 1830) a labourer from Lurgan although I have never been able to trace him or Elizabeth's mother. I am curious as to what age is considered a minor in 1877 for marriage.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
Minor, in the 1800s, was under 21.
Elwyn

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn! There is much to consider and might never be solved. I might have to wait to see if any other Lurgan McGuinness' fill out a tree so that I might learn of her parents and siblings. I am grateful for all the replies posted here today. Thanks everyone!