Author Topic: Fry(e) family, Havant to Canada to Boston, Mass.  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Fry(e) family, Havant to Canada to Boston, Mass.
« on: Wednesday 15 April 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
Edward Fry(e) b 1817 Iwerne Courtnay , Dorset and his wife Mary Ann Hillier b 1818 Bursledon , Hants were Governor and Matron of Havant Union Workhouse in 1851. Their daughter , Helena Augusta , was born and died in 1855 and that is the last record of the family in England. They moved to Canada with daughter , Fanny M ,  b 1848 , and son , Edward H , b 1849. Their sons , Thomas G Fry , abt 1859 , and Walter R , abt 1861, were born in Canada before the family appears on the Massachusetts State Census of 1865. I have the deaths of Edward senior , Mary Ann , Fanny and Walter ( who committed suicide ) and I have traced Thomas forward to his marriage etc. I have not been able to find any record of the family in Canada and would be interested to know if anyone can spot them , perhaps on the census before they moved to Boston ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christine

Sorry - have also traced Edward H forward - don't want to waste anyone's time !
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Fry(e) family, Havant to Canada to Boston, Mass.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
According to the Massachusetts record (for deaths), Walter was born in Montreal, Can., so at some point Mary Ann apparently was in Montreal.

According to the 1900 Norwood, MA census, Thomas states he was born in May 1860 in Canada (Eng) which could indicate that they were not in Quebec at the time of his birth.  (I do not have any ancestors born in Quebec, so I am not certain of the exact meaning.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
I do not see any Fry/Frye's listed in the 1857-58, 1859-60, or 1860-61 Montreal City Directory.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking an interest and taking the trouble to look. This part of my family fascinates me . Mary Ann's brother Henry and his wife Amy also worked in the Workhouse and moved to Canada and then on to America at about the same time. ( There is no evidence of them being together ). I am not very adventurous and this seems to me a really brave venture at that time on all their parts.

Thank you again - I shall keep searching.

Christine

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine:

While every family is different, the few ancestors who came in "groups" in my family all settled in the same province and generally in the same area.  Do you know where Henry and Amy lived while in Canada?  Sometimes, relatives can be found on census returns, living near each other.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
I believe I may have Henry , Amy and their children Harry and Mary Ann, who were born in 1857 and 1860 in Canada , in 1861 in Toronto but the form is hard to read. They moved on to America in about 1863 , settling first in Cincinnati, Ohio ; then Covington , Kentucky ; Denver, Colorado and some then moved on to Los Angeles.( I posted about Henry and Amy a while back : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=706809.0 )
The Fry family remained in Massachusetts , apart from Thomas who turns up in New York in 1905.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:28 BST (UK) »
Having computer problems (extremely slow).  I will continue to look around a bit later today.  Apologies for leaving now.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 April 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
In case you are not able to read the writing on the 1861 York, Canada census, if it was "your" Hilliers, it appears that they were living on King Street.  Looking at a neighbour on the census, John Terry - Flour Dealer, the following is listed in the 1863 Toronto Directory:
John Terry, flour and Feed, 251 King (east)

So, the street address for the "Hillier" family most likely was King (east).  After a somewhat quick search, I do not see Henry in a Toronto directory.   :-\   Perhaps they were moving around when they were living in Canada.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
A Mrs. Fry, milliner, living(?) on Richmond Street West, was listed in the 1861 Toronto Directory.  I've not yet been able to rule her out as a possibility, nor confirm that she was your Mrs. Fry.

Looking at a current map, Richmond Street West is located two/three blocks "up" from the end of King Street East (the streets run the same way).  Richmond Street West runs quite a distance away from King Street East, so I cannot tell how close her residence was to the Hillier family.

Note:  In the same directory is a
William Fry ("of Colby & Fry"), address Queen Street West, #63
Perhaps related to Mrs. Fry?
   Colby & Fry were apparently painters