Author Topic: Fry(e) family, Havant to Canada to Boston, Mass.  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fry(e) family, Havant to Canada to Boston, Mass.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 April 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Thank you once again for your efforts. I had another look at the family today , thinking about family groups staying together. Amy Hillier's father , Willis Aylmore Ide , emigrated with his family at about the same time. He was a blacksmith by trade , but was also the Relieving Officer for the Havant Union. It is mentioned in the newspapers that he had resigned from this post in August 1854. There is also an advertisement in 1855 , seeking to appoint a new Schoolmaster and Schoolmistress - posts which had been held by Henry Hillier and Amy Ide. Willis and family can be found on the 1861 census in Etobicoke and I have a probable entry in the 1857 directory at Mimico, so it seems that the Hilliers and Ides stayed in the Toronto area , at least at first. ( The Ides remained there ).

It's frustrating that I can't find the Frys as it seems likely that they would have kept together.

Thanks for your help with this - it's made me look at it all afresh which is always useful.

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 April 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.   :)  I wish I could find more; they are a very elusive group.

It looks like there is a Martha "Fryer"'(?) listed under Mr. Ide's name, but you most likely already know that.

Your Mr. Ide and my Stuart ancestor may have known each other.  My Stuart ancestor was a cooper and is shown about 8 pages prior to Mr. Ide (on the 1861 census).  There are a lot of names separating the families - perhaps they knew each other - perhaps they didn't.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 May 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hey !

I don't know if you saw this : http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=fry&GSfn=walter&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=21&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=84980632&df=all&
I could not find any other graves. Do you know where they established in Canada exactly ?
FRYE from Somerset, Maine, Canada
RAYMOND from Meuse, France
PERRON, SUIRE from La Rochelle, France
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 May 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Yes  I have seen that , thank you. I don't know where they were in Canada , only that they had moved on to America in about 1863.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk