Author Topic: Anwoth  (Read 4603 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anwoth
« on: Thursday 16 April 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
I have a ancestor who died in Anwoth 6 February 1896  - Margaret Bryant.     The place of her death is difficult to read and I have tried sites looking for the name or similar - eg Genuki

The place looks to be Boadgrease / Boalgrease

can anybody identify this for me
Thanks

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anwoth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
You could always post the part of the certificate with the name, so we can see it. Failing that, go to the National Library of Scotland maps website, click on "Series Maps", then select the earlier Ordnance Survey six inch map. That will take you to a 19th century large-scale map of the area.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
I agree with GR2 - it would be good to see the place for ourselves otherwise it would be just a best guess. It may be a farmstead or other small place which would not show up on Genuki, but may be noted on an old map.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Where was she living in the 1891 census?

I've looked at a couple of maps but can't see anything like that place in Anwoth.

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
This afternoon whilst looking for something else - I came across a relative Jessie Bryain (Brian and Bryan) she was a pupil teacher aged 13  (Gatehouse folk) website - her address is shown as

"  Boatgreen Street"   so I think that has answered my question.    The word street was missing from the certificate.   

Learning all the time

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
Good that this has been solved.

One of the people I am researching died in Boatgreen too.  ;) (her death certificate just said "Boatgreen Gatehouse" - not street) It's a small street (there are only a few cottages there today)  Perhaps our families knew each other, though mine died in 1916, they lived in the area for years prior to that.  :)

If you have a look on a map you will see that it is just plain Boatgreen.  :) It is at the end of and at right angles to Hannay Street. Worth having a look on google streetview.

There appears to always have been about the same number of dwellings there:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=19&lat=54.8799&lon=-4.1865&layers=6&right=BingHyb

(The green area in front of the cottages overlooking the river was called Boatgreen - which is quite logical given the location. Presumably the row of cottages eventually took on that name)

Offline Blackiegrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I believe I'm related to you. My great, great grandfather is Alexander Brian who was married to a Margaret Bryant. They also had a daughter called Margaret. If you Google Bryant County Cork you'll get a thread where somebody else was researching this name. Best Regards,
David Bryant