Author Topic: The Brennans from Curry, Sligo, Ireland  (Read 6544 times)

Offline Maggie64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Brennans from Curry, Sligo, Ireland
« on: Thursday 16 April 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

My Brennan family records from Curry, Sligo, Ireland 1795.

My 4x great grandfather Edward Brennan was born in Curry just south of Tubbercurry in about 1794 or 1795.  He enlisted with 88th Regiment at aged 18 on May 25 1813 in Sligo as private soldier.

He was sent to fight against Napoleon's army in Toulouse France during Easter 1814, Later on 88th Regiment were sent over to Scotland during 1817 to 1819.     He met my 4x great grandmother Isabella Rae who came from Dunnottar not far from Stonehaven in Scotland while he was stationed at Fort George and Aberdeen during the years 1817-1819 while other 88th Regiment soldiers were stationed at Edinburgh Castle.   Then 88th Regiment were sent down to Hull Yorkshire England during the end of 1819, Edward and Isabella got married on Feb 7 1820 at parish church of Drypool in Hull, Yorkshire, England.  My 3rd great grandfather James Brannen was born at Hull garrison on Feb 22nd 1820.  He was christening on Feb 27th... they were Roman Catholics.

Later 88th Regiment left England for Ireland.   Edward remained with 88th Regiment until he was very unfit and illness during October 1822, they discharged him from 88th Regiment at Dublin Hospital.

The Brannen family decided to move away to Aberdeen Scotland for a short time where they had 3 more children then the family moved again to settle down in Montrose Scotland.

Edward's discharge Army papers showed that he was born in parish of Curry.  I have asked anyone in my family out there in the world and somebody told me that is very IMPOSSIBLE to find Edward's family history or records from Curry Church because their church records are only started after 1860s.   

My frustrations still carry on since I became family history researcher since 2004.  I wish that Edward died after 1855 so Scottish Death entry would tell me who were his parents but no luck because he died of dropsy during April 25 1851 at aged 55.  I have asked all my relatives out there and nobody knew about Edward's family.  That is shame.   Still stuck on brickwall.   

If you knew anything about my side from Curry, Sligo,  please share with me.

by the way I visit Ireland last year for 6 nights in Westport for our holiday and we went out for a day tour to visit Curry from Westport.  I can't believe that Curry is very rural village very few houses, pub, and church.   

I would love to hear from any Brennans from Curry, Sligo, Ireland.   Much appreciated.

thank you  Cherrio Margaret

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Brennans from Curry, Sligo, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
http://www.from-ireland.net/1659-census-sligo/

Gives the surnames of the Irish in each parish and the number of times it occurs

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maggie64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 15 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help much appreciated very much.
Cherrio all the way from Canada
Maggie  ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
BRENNAN A. (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
BRENNAN Alexander of Cartron (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
BRENNAN John (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
BRENNAN John (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
BRENNAN Mary (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
BRENNAN Very Revd Michael Canon Parish Priest of Riverstown 1953-75 (RC Church of the Sacred Heart Riverstown County Sligo Ireland)
BRENNAN Michael of Knockanarrow (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.