Author Topic: Stevens Family, Kimberley  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Stevens Family, Kimberley
« on: Thursday 16 April 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Good evening everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has information on the parentage of James Stevens (born 1865) and Ellen Stevens (born 1869)

Ellen married Edward Elijah Mileham on 18 May 1890 in Kimberley.

James married Edith Maud Clark on 12 Aug 1890 in De Beers, Kimberley.

There is another Stevens who married in the area, Her name was Fanny Eliza Stevens, she married a man with the surname Frank Houken Cox on 18 July 1883. Her father appears to be John Alfred Stevens. While I know for sure that James and Ellen were siblings, I have found no indication that that is the case with Fanny.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens Family, Kimberley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
I was looking for the marriages for both James and Ellen.  Found James' showing that Edward and Ellen Mileham were the witnesses.  Wonder if his parents were dead by then?  Ellen did not get married on 18 May 1890 in St. Albans Kimberley despite the information given on the various sites. I went through all the marriages between 1887 and 1897 and she was not there, so am not sure where she married.   I found the following at the archives.  Possibly in the liquidation and distribution papers there might be the death certificate for James giving his parents.

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOK                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 1/4/133                                                               
SYSTEM    05                                                                   
REFERENCE 118                                                                   
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          STEVENS, JAMES. AND EDITH MAUDE STEVENS (BORN CLARK). FINAL ACCOUNT. 
           LIQUIDATION AND DISTRIBUTION ACCOUNT.                               
STARTING  19200000                                                             
ENDING    19200000

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOK                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 1/1/332                                                               
SYSTEM    02                                                                   
REFERENCE R8/318                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MILEHAM, EDWARD ELIJAH. DECEASED ESTATE PAPERS.                       
STARTING  19190000                                                             
ENDING    19190000 
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
Here is the grave of Edward and Ellen http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=2137591
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hey Nookie,

Thank you for helping me out, I have a scan of James and Ellen's marriage, it states at the top 1890 Marriage solemnized at St Alban's Church in the parish of Kimberley, in the District of Kimberley. They were marriage number 46. Witnesses were J. Stevens, Edith Clark and Emma Stevens.

Those archive lists look promising, I will have to make a stop at the archives and take a look, thank you for those. I have the death notice form for information of death for both Ellen's brother James and her husband, Elijah, the dates match those in the archive files that you have listed so I am pretty sure that those would be their estate files.

I have managed to find their parents, their baptism records were tough to find, but I found them in the end, their parents were James and Ellen Stevens. Her father was the younger brother of Edward Elijah Mileham's mother, so they were first cousins.

Hey Pampoen,

The link goes to a different couple. Edward also died in Beaconsfield, so I am doubt that he would have been buried in PE.

Thank you to both of you for taking time out to help me :D

Kind regards

Duncan

Offline Duncan Bennie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
thanks again :)