Author Topic: Looking for the Paterson family  (Read 7939 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Looking for the Paterson family
« on: Thursday 16 April 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thomas Paterson b 1861 Dalserf Lanark Coal miner
Wife Catherine b 1862
Mary b 1884 Old Monkland Lanarkshire
John b 1888 Blantyre Glasgow
Richard b 1890 Old Monkland Lanarkshire

In 1891 they were in Old Monkland Lanarkshire

Can anyone help please
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Paterson family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
Larger family by 1901:

Thomas Paterson 39 coal miner b. Dalserf, Lanarkshire
Catherine Paterson 38 b. Holytown, Lanarkshire
Mary W Paterson 17
John Paterson 14
Richard Paterson 10
Janet Paterson 8
George Paterson 6
Thomas Paterson 4
James Paterson 2
Robert Paterson 3 Months
Address: Castle Buildings, New Cumnock, Ayrshire

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica... yes it seems they had been busy ;D
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
iluleah, what was mother/wife Catherine's maiden name? Was it McFarlane?

Some basic details on a tree on a/try here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/67987134/person/38173659835  Not sure if you have access to this.

Monica

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:29 BST (UK) »
Yes it was McFarlane, but I do not have access to ancestry.

I am particular interested in John and who he married

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
That tree that I mentioned seems to belong to the family of daughter Janet born in 1892 who married a William McGeachy in 1916. No mention there on brother John...

Monica

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking for me.

This is a 30 yr brick wall I was able to smash yesterday after a member on rootchat mentioned the 20 credits offer by scotlandpeople. I have no ancestors from Scotland so have never used the site so thought it a good opportunity to look and see but then remembered I was looking for a marriage of my great aunt which I could never find.
I know John died in 1959, know where the service was , know where he is buried, know where they lived, knew they were not married in 1911 and then remembered a family story saying he was either Irish or Scottish as I have already looked in Ireland thought I would check in Scotland and to my surprise found their marriage in 1933 but it opened another query as they were both widow/widowers. She was married to a Mr Barker but can't find that marriage, but no idea who he was married to prior.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
What was the name and maiden name of second wife? Not that it necessarily helps with John's first marriage details...  Who reported his death in 1959? Who were the witnesses to his second 1933 marriage?

Monica

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
Nellie Clements who was born in Rutland.
The witnesses to the marriage ( as best as I can transcribe the script on the marriage cert) were withnesses Hugh Penman & Anna Marie Hortense Lersy or Stevenson ( she lived at the same address as Nellie) which is now Direct line Financial services in Glasgow

John was a structural engineer and Nellie a Photographer

Nellie reported his death. She died in 1972 buried with John in a tiny village in Nottinghamshire so I knew her very well and I spent lots of time with her when I was a child, although never knew anything about her life really, she always carried a camera with her ( which means something to me now knowing her profession) she could draw anything and everything and was somewhat eccentric which I loved and told some fascinating stories which at that time I was told meant nothing, but have since found many to be true.

I never knew she lived in Scotland, I do know  during WW2 she took German POWs to the local farms to work