Author Topic: Looking for the Paterson family  (Read 7943 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Paterson family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 April 15 13:15 BST (UK) »

I am supposing he was married in 1911, so think I need to go to the local  library and get on ancestry and look at the 1911, find a structural engineer( apprentice) somewhere in the UK aged 25ish, then look for a death of 1st wife before 1933.

The only source for the 1911 for Scotland is the pay to view site Scotlands People. Ancestry do not have this info, only the English/Welsh 1911 details.

Similarly, marriage and death of John's first wife are only likely to come from SP. There is nothing so far to think that John was living in England prior to marrying Nellie in Glasgow in 1933. However, without more info....do not know!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 April 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
I know John nor Nellie left a Will and I know they had no children, as they would have been my mothers cousins, although many of her cousins where the same ages as my grandparents as my Grandfather was one of the younger ones...strange family I have EVERYTHING goes to the male side and that means my mothers brother, it is all tied up years before they die, so handed over.

Three boys owned the farm passed on years before from my Great Grandfather, my Grandfather, Great uncle Sid and Great Uncle Hugh, the daughters got nothing. Grandfather and Uncle Sid bought out Uncle Hugh, Uncle Sid has no children, my Uncle moved into Great Uncle Sid's farm house and built a bungalow for him ( which my uncle owned) again years before he died, my grandparents moved out of their farm house a bungalow was built for them and my uncle moved a farmer worker in to the farm house for years until my cousin moved in and lives in it now

Nellie moved into one of the farm cottages ( owned previously by my Grandfather) who passed everything onto his son ( my uncle) 15 yrs before my grandfather died. All her property and she had a string of properties were rented out for years proceeds to my uncle, which means no Wills and no tax...Oh they have everything well and truly tied up

Yes I noticed John was named after Thomas's father, one the marriage cert it says Thomas a "carting contractor" ( I think) retired

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 April 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
The reason I thought they might be in England in 1911 is I searched separately for a John Paterson, Thomas Paterson, Catherine Paterson and Richard Paterson the only census that shows is 1911 England/Wales

Also looked on SP with my last few credits for them to see if any were in 1911 in Scotland, wrong, age, wrong parents, wrong jobs, nothing at all I could find

I think you a correct with regards to John Paterson's first wife Scotland is the likely place for her birth/marriage ( although I couldn't find one on SP)/death

There are 3 Scottish addressed signatures living/working in Ireland of a John Paterson on the Ulster Covenant 1912 one Byver Road Kilwinning, Ayrshire ( living/lodging in Carrowdor NI) and one Scotland: Lanarkshire: North West ( coatsbridge) living in Saintfield NI the other is Edinburgh division living on Drumbow NI. I will need to look on the Irish census to see if any of these match up

Of course there are a few immigration/passenger ship list especially to Canada/US and return so who knows.

So from family stories and first hand information: Where Nellie and John lived was Swinderby Lincs, the large house and grounds they originally lived in was taken over in WW2( so they were in Lincolnshire late 1930s onwards) and at some point it made into a POW camp ( it is now an immigration detention centre), as far as I am aware they moved into one of the cottages on Summer Terrace then, which they owned the whole row of about 6 of them or so, which is where John died and where she moved from in the late 1960s. She would take the POWs to the surrounding farms in the morning, collect them in the evening. She was such a tiny lady it is hard to imagine her doing that, I was told " no one messed with Aunt Ellen" and I have heard that from her brother ( my grandfather), my mother and uncle on separate occasions.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline littlefishlock

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder how the met? Nellie was in Glasgow, although on marriage certs that might mean she had a suitcase there stayed for a few weeks prior and from the address of the marriage ( Howard St Glasgow) it seems it was a type of registry office.

The Clements family home was at 202 Howard Street. It was a huge house. Lots of generations living their.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder how the met? Nellie was in Glasgow, although on marriage certs that might mean she had a suitcase there stayed for a few weeks prior and from the address of the marriage ( Howard St Glasgow) it seems it was a type of registry office.

The Clements family home was at 202 Howard Street. It was a huge house. Lots of generations living their.

Me too I wonder.
She was in Bulwell Nottingham 1911 working for a family as a domestic Nurse, her parents also in Nottinghamshire running their farm and there is no family connection to Scotland at all. I had no clue she ever was in Scotland.
Her first husband ( who I can't find a marriage to) was in 1911 'widowed insurance agent Partick, Lanark' he was in 1925 on the Valuation Rolls for Glasgow, a tenant at 123 North John St. He died in 1931 and  lived at 18 Cadogan St Glasgow a photographer, and in the probate index 1931 'sealed London "confirmation" of Nellie Barker widow Will'
She married for a second time in 1933 at Howard St which as you say looks like it was  registry office.
Her life, being married twice, living in Scotland and being a photographer before I knew her certainly surprised me although I shouln't be surprised she was a remarkable and memorable lady

Offline littlefishlock

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
We have cross wires. I copied the 'i wonder' quote to explain that 202 Howard Street is NOT a registry office but the clements family home.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 January 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
They married at 19 Howard St http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imageview.php?inum=TGSV10097 which was the registry office

Interesting that there was a Clements family abet no relation living further down the street

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 January 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
On the Glasgow Story webpage, from the valuation roll, entry number 19 on that page is a registry office keeper, however the address 19 Howard Street is a collection of offices and warehouses.

Marriage in a registration office in Scotland did not exist before the Marriage (Scotland) Act 1939.

See also: http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9806

I take it that this marriage was shown on the certificate as "by declaration in the presence of..." (an irregular marriage, being declared, and gaining a marriage certificate via the Sheriff Substitute of that area).

ADP

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 January 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Just looked on the copy of the marriage cert I have.

Under the column of "when, where and how married"  it says " By declaration in the presence of...." the marriage took place at 19 Howard Street and by warrant of sheriff substitute of Lanarkshire 30 May 1933