Author Topic: Looking for the Paterson family  (Read 7909 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Paterson family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:42 BST (UK) »
What a great story for Nellie  :) I work in a Photography business...what can I say?!

Let's see if we can find anything further between us all...

John Paterson died in England in 1959?

Monica

PS: Marriage here for reference:

1933   John PATERSON and Nellie CLEMENTS in BLYTHSWOOD, GLASGOW CITY/LANARK - ref 644/10 074
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
She was a wonderful lady

John died at home aged 72yrs at 1 Summers Terrace, Morton, Swinderby Lincolnshire, is buried in our family village in Nottinghamshire on the 26 September 1959, black marble head stone and then in 1972 Aunt Ellen ( as I knew her) was also buried there.

Prior to yesterday I didn't know where John was from apart from approx year of birth in 1933 he lived Shore Cottage Portencross Ayreshire
So 1888 born Blantyre Glasgow Lanarkshire
1891 aged 4yrs Old Monkland NW Lanarkshire
1901 aged 14yrs Castle Buildings, New Cumnock, Ayrshire

Maybe /maybe not 1914 25yrs 3rd Dragoon Guards GS/7346

Widow/widower 1933 he was 42yr she was 41yrs
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 April 15 09:09 BST (UK) »

... in 1933 he lived Shore Cottage Portencross Ayreshire
So 1888 born Blantyre Glasgow Lanarkshire

I wonder if this is the Shore Cottage still? www.flickr.com/photos/98346459@N00/3413796423/in/photostream/

The 1925 Valuation Roll for the property shows three people registered there:

William Adams - Owner
William Fraser - Tenant
Miss Elizabeth Richmond - Tenant

Unfortunately, the 1925 Valuation Rolls is currently the earliest one you can look at online via SP. They can be searched annually at an appropriate local reference facility however, understand this is not practical for you given your location.

Monica

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 April 15 11:38 BST (UK) »

I wonder if this is the Shore Cottage still? www.flickr.com/photos/98346459@N00/3413796423/in/photostream/

The 1925 Valuation Roll for the property shows three people registered there:

William Adams - Owner
William Fraser - Tenant
Miss Elizabeth Richmond - Tenant

Unfortunately, the 1925 Valuation Rolls is currently the earliest one you can look at online via SP. They can be searched annually at an appropriate local reference facility however, understand this is not practical for you given your location.

Monica

The photo is lovely thank you...just my type of place. I have been there years ago, went to visit the Castle, walked my dogs on the beach so likely I walked passed those cottages all I know is from the marriage cert in 1933 is shore cottage was his address. As a structural engineer the Firth of Clyde is not too far away so  that is a likely place  he could have worked.

I wonder how the met? Nellie was in Glasgow, although on marriage certs that might mean she had a suitcase there stayed for a few weeks prior and from the address of the marriage ( Howard St Glasgow) it seems it was a type of registry office.

As for her 1st marriage to a Mr Barker having done some online research the only one I can find is
Name:    Nellie Cleminson
Event Type:    Marriage
Registration Quarter:    Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year:    1919
Registration District:    Tynemouth
County:    Northumberland
Event Place:    Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
Spouse Name (available after 1911):    Barker Harry
Volume:    10B
Page:    650
Line Number:    56

But her surname is wrong and

Name:    Harry Barker
Event Type:    Death
Registration Quarter:    Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year:    1930
Registration District:    Hemsworth
County:    Yorkshire
Event Place:    Hemsworth, Yorkshire, England
Volume:    9C
Page:    187
Line Number:    115

A couple of years ago I thought I found him born Mancester in 1889, 1901 Belfast Northern Ireland, 1911 Larne Apprentice Northern Ireland, 1912 Signed the Ulster Covenant in Larne and merrily researched his family back, father from Belfast, mother from Buckinghamshire, even going further back to Cornwall  then I found him married to someone else and dying in Belfast in 1920, so after some more research I  found him buried in Lisburn NI (WW1 Northumberland Fusiliers) so it was not them, or not him anyway, maybe I need to go and research Nellie Clements I found living in Larne who signed the Declaration in 1912, I know she was in Nottinghamshire in 1911 so it should be easy to see if there are two Nellie's as Larne/Belfast to Firth of Clyde could be a possiblity with his type of work.

.......and last night I realised I also need to write down all Auntie Ellen's stories and first hand knowledge of the times I spent with her or they will be lost for any future generations, now that alone could turn into a book ;D
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 April 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
By the way, for your own records, John Paterson was born on 18 May 1886 not 1888.

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 April 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
No certainty that John Paterson was in the Glasgow area in 1927, but this is a link to that telephone directory http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~glasgow/1927names537.jpg

There are too, too many John Patersons showing as having married between 1906 (when he would have been 20 years old, just picked an age for him) up to 1933 when he married Nellie to even begin to guess at this point  :-\ In fact, 932 entries  :'(

We need some hard fact to connect for him post 1901-33, to help further now...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 April 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see whether John or Nellie left a will? You may get some clues on possible children for them from the settlement of their estates.

Monica

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 April 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
3232 entries...wow it was a common name ::)

I am soooooo chuffed I have found their marriage in 1933 it has bugged me for years and so chuffed that I am positive it IS them, correct parents, her mum died in 1922, it says deceased on their cert.

I am supposing he was married in 1911, so think I need to go to the local  library and get on ancestry and look at the 1911, find a structural engineer( apprentice) somewhere in the UK aged 25ish, then look for a death of 1st wife before 1933.
Our local library has been demolished and they are building a new one so need to find another one I can use.
Thank you for the birth date. I was working on birth year based on age at death

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 April 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Please send me a personal email I can use via Pm www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=17200 and I can send you John's birth details.

I corrected the number of marriages I initially posted (forgot to add years to search parameters  :P). Revised down to just 932!

Curious, what did it say regarding John's dad Thomas on his 1933 marriage, alive/deceased? His mother Catherine McFarlane is showing on the fam tree I mentioned as having died on 29 Aug 1939 in 1301 Govan Road (Southern Gen Hosp), Glasgow. No details on the tree re father Thomas' death, although his parents and siblings are included there.

The John Paterson that we are looking for here, looks to have been called after Thomas' father John. Fits well with Scottish Naming Pattern, named after paternal grandfather, when used (see here for example www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm).

Monica