Author Topic: David Nicholson MUST of had parents - right?!  (Read 2110 times)

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Nicholson MUST of had parents - right?!
« on: Friday 17 April 15 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
It's been awhile since I've focused on this particular family and the last time I received a fairly comprehensive census history in the post - Topic: NICHOLSON/STEEL - 1841/51 census.
(here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=341122.0)

Having recognised that others who have have also looked into this family have become blocked at the same point I had a number of years ago. The thing is....I can in no way find any info about David NICHOLSON's parents or siblings.

So here is what I KNOW:
David NICHOLSON b c1810, Ceres, Fife (1851-1871 census, marriage cert)
Married Margaret STEELE 1834, Dunbog, Fife
9 children in Dunbog, Cults, Ceres, Leven, Markinch
Died 1878, Markinch

My search parameters have included dates from b 1785 - 1830
Specifically focusing on Ceres, and Cupar but incorporating all of Fife as well
Various surname spellings, and soundex (Nicholson, Nicolson, Nicholsen, Nichelson, Nicholls) with the forename David, Dav, D and even without any at all in case that wasn't his first name
With and without sex specified

Alas, the brick wall remains in tact - so do any of you amazingly amazing researchers have any other ideas????

Fiona :)

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: David Nicholson MUST of had parents - right?!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Do you have his death certificate? That may help depending on the knowledge of
the informant :)

There is a tree on Ancestry with his parents as Robert Nicolson and Isabella Scott. As I'm sure
you're aware this information should be verified. David's DOD is given as 5 June 1878. There are
9 children listed, 8 boys and 1 girl.

Perhaps it would be worth a look ;)

Joy
Edit to add David's siblings are listed as well :)
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
You know Joy sometimes it is the simplest advice that is often the best to help us notice our oversights. The answer was no, I didn't have his death cert which was on my to do list but I had obviously skipped it, and low and behold.... there was the answer and a path to further travel down.

So thank you :)
Fiona

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
Glad to have helped Fiona :)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk