Author Topic: JOHN HALL, DONOUGHMORE< CORK circa 1700  (Read 2289 times)

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN HALL, DONOUGHMORE< CORK circa 1700
« on: Friday 17 April 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
Looking for JOHN HALL of Donoughmore circa 1700. Was the father in law of FRANCIS RADLEY ESQ of KNOOCKRAUR.Cork.   His daughter married Francis in 1696. Her name was Catherine.  Any ifo gratefully recd.

LORC
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN HALL, DONOUGHMORE< CORK circa 1700
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine,

I had a quick look at a book I have titled "Donoughmore and All around" by the renowned Cork
historian Richard Henchion.   There is a mention to John Hall of Ballycunningham, Donoughmore.
Quote -
"  Evidence for residence in a Donoughmore townland prior, or close to 1700 isi so scarce that it is
refreshing when some appears.  The  1717-will of John Hall, senr, gives his address as Ballycunningham.  He probably resided where Robert Honohan was domiciled in his time as this property was shaded by old timber. 

Previous to it being confiscated, Ballycunningham had formed part of the massive estate of the Earl of Clancarty, who must have leased some part of the townland to this person, John Hall by name, in 1675 for 31 years, for he claimed for it when the lands of the Earl went up for sale at Chichester House in 1701."

He also gives information that in a figurative sense Knockrour was the Radleys Holy grail. The   Radleys of Knockrour also being in attendance at Chichester House to claim the lands confiscated from Donagh MC Carthy, Earl of Clancarthy.  Henry Leader wife of Mary Radley was there to stake his claim also, supported by Thomas Radley senior, Thomas Radley junior, and Robert Radley.

Another quote from his brilliant book is the following -

" When Francis Radley , Knockrour, gave the  6.5 gneeves of land in the townland to his son Thomas at a rent of £14.12.0 in 1722, it was three Donoughmore men who witnessed the transaction, Donagh McCarthy of Derry, John Hall of Ballycunningham, and William Casey.  They were not around when, in 1736, Francis and Thomas together, hived off the 6.5 gneeves of Knockrour Upper, total area 400 acres, to William Sullivan of Cork City.  Three years later as a consequence of Tom's marriage to Margaret,  Daddy and Sonny Radley had to make another transfer of the land, 576 acres in all, to John Purdon of Desert and Richard Hall of Ballycunningham, the fee being £180 and the rent £20"

Hope this is some help

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
Just spotted an error , Mary Radley wife of Henry Leader !!!

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary  Thanks. However I think on CD of Irish wills that John Hall's  probated will,1717,  was of Ballyconigan.John Hall signed or witnessed a deed for Francis Radley in 1722 so could not have been same JH, if that particular guy was dead.That is interesting info. but am trying to find out who my  6th gt gfr(JOHN HALL) was descended from.  I think he married Mary Allen of Clashenure House, Greenfield Cork around circa 1670 and was  born approx. 1640 to 1650. And I think Richard Hall was his son. There was a Richard Hall married Mary or Eliz(?) ALLMAN in 1715. Could have been Catherine Hall'  (my 5th gt gm) brother. The Allens made a few marriages with Radleys, Hawkes and Bayleys,who also are related to me. Nevertheless you are a star.

Lorraine  www.radleysofcork.bigpondhosting.com
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 15 14:04 BST (UK) »

You are welcome,  I think you could take it that Ballyiconigan and  Ballycunningham are probably one and the same??

Mary

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Mary      Celtic Liberty   Ballyconigan seems to be in ANTRIM whereas Ballycunningham is in Cork.I am unfamiliar with Irish Townlands so could be mistaken.  Lorraine