Author Topic: Agnes Robertson McKellar nee McMillan b1883 missing from 1911 Census Greenock  (Read 6819 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
The 1915 Valuation Roll at 17 Brisbane Street seems to be the correct one. Can't have your Alexander at 17 and 8 Brisbane Road at the same time  :-\ Think the 1913 birth I mentioned at 8 Brisbane Street might just be a coincidence. From the VRs for 17 Brisbane Street in 1915:

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Robertson McKellar nee McMillan b1883 missing from 1911 Census Greenock
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 May 15 19:41 BST (UK) »
Can't figure out as yet, but just posting here so it is there for future refence. At 17 Brisbane Street on the 1920 Valuation Rolls is the following entry. I know we have a range of options on first name variants, but not sure if Sarah connects to Agnes  ???

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Robertson McKellar nee McMillan b1883 missing from 1911 Census Greenock
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 May 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Sarah is a help from 1920. I am thinking from what I am seeing that Agnes Robertson McMillan had died by 1913 when husband, widower, married a Sarah Carmichael.

However, you mentioned much earlier on that Alexander was born 1880? The Alexander McKellar, shipmaster,widower, who married in 1913 was aged 48. Parents Alexander McKellar a seaman and Christine McArthur, both deceased.

From the marriage you have for Alexander to Agnes Robertson McMillan, what were his parents' names?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
I think we are going off track with the WW1 refs likely and the Alexander McKellar showing at 17 Brisbane Street, who was a shipmaster at the time of his death and commemorated on the Greenock WW1 memorial  :-\ This Alexander remarried as we have seen at the age of 48 in 1913 to a Sarah Carmichael. She showed there at that address still in 1920 on the VRs.

YOUR Alexander is indeed younger (which is what worried me from the last doc). His parents are also different going by his 1906 marriage entry to Agnes:

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
MonicaL, Again thank you for searching, the reason I started this enquiry again was when I found the Alxr McKellar entry on the Greenock war memorial -however the 1906 Marriage cert for 'our' Alexander McKellar, who married my relative, Agnes McMillan shows he was tugboatman .
I have a family photo of Agnes [ in mourning ] and her two daughters .
Agnes went onto marry again in 1921 in Liverpool, she died in 1968.

I'll keep on with researching and once again thanks for your helpful posts and comments.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
The other 1915 reference we had at 8 Brisbane Street is also not connected. That Alexander was a joiner  :-\

Alexander and Agnes still AWOL from 1911 to 1921 when you mention you have her remarriage in Liverpool area.

Monica

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 June 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
After more family discussion we have identified a 3rd daughter of Agnes MacKellar nee McMillan, Jean Stephenson McMiIllan MacKellar  born 22/02/1914 however unable to find birth record on ScotPeople, did find marriage in 1939 to Lewis Giles, a sargent with Royal Artillery under Armed Forces in Bombay India and Palestine,thats 2 entries for the same marriage ?.
Marriage shows her age as 25 in 1939 but Jean used her mothers second marriage surname to William Bygrave . Also found her death in Liverpool in 1983.
Any suggestion s as to the location of her birth record given I now have confirmed forename/s and date of birth just unable to locate the country?

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 June 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Birth record now resloved Jean Stephenson McMillan registered as McMillan in England 1914.
Item now closed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 June 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update  :)

Monica