Author Topic: Canada death  (Read 4368 times)

Offline snowy owl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canada death
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Sandra Yes that's  definitely him-  amazing! but what does that tell us?  where does this information come from?  the actual gravestone which I have seen,  doesn't show all the parents dates.

DB sorry i gave conflicting info he died 1858.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 April 15 02:28 BST (UK) »
Whoops.  I wasn't reading his date of death.  Sorry for the incorrect information.  (I got caught up with the parents' names.  I was on my way out the door and thought I would research for a few minutes while I was waiting.)   ::)

Could this be your man?
Marriage 1877
John Grant, Bachelor, age 26 years, born Scotland, son of Peter and Isabel Grant; living in South Dumfries, Ontario, Farmer.
Married Agnes Hamilton, age 28 years, living in South Dumfries, Ontario, born Scotland, daughter of Thomas and Annie? Hamilton.  Witnesses William Mc?? and William Hackman?, South Dumfries.  October 10, 1877.  Bride and bridegroom Presbyterian.  By whom married:  Rev. Robert Hume(?)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 April 15 04:57 BST (UK) »
Wrong family.

Did your John have a sibling named Margaret?
Thomas Williams married a Margaret Grant.  Her information: age 21, South Dumfries, daughter of Peter and Isabella.  Witnesses were William Hamilton and John Grant, both of South Dumfries.  26 March 1874.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/brant74.htm
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 April 15 05:49 BST (UK) »
You most likely noticed it but in case you didn't...
from the site Sandra recommended
Elizabeth Grant, daughter of Peter Grant and Isabella Ross, died in Canada 1859.
This entry is on the previous page to John Grant's entry.

Offline snowy owl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Lisa
 I  noticed that but thank you anyway, especially you  trying to seek possible marriage.

on a separate note i have ancestry uk subscription,  would it be worth getting the worldwide one to search for him on a possible census?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
Have you looked on the family search site - 1851 census of Canada is free to browse.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1325192

and 1861

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1460164

Have you got birth years for either Elizabeth or John ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline snowy owl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 April 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Sandra

only  a broad idea of birth dates. I think they were from a previous marriage to my direct ancestor so I need to do some more research on that.  Either way, looking for name John Grant death or birth is tricky.  :-\

thanks for the fam search tip- ill trawl through the names on that.