Author Topic: Look up, John Aden Dace  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Look up, John Aden Dace
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 April 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
So he was born John Aden Dace to Florence Warham & John Dace born 1907. That sounds like it could be a good match, though why the name change John, Aden, then John & changing the surname to Dacey??  Also saying he was born in the states. As i mentioned above i think his brother did the same. Would they have had better prospects if they said this? I know Aden's uncles father did the same he was born in Ireland but claimed he was born in Liverpool as the irish were not held in great esteem

I know quite a few people who use their middle names, rather than their first names.  I've never asked why they chose to do this.  I also have several family members who have done the same.  Their middle names were easier to understand, they liked them better, they were more unique.

He may have had better job prospects if he said he was born in the states.  Someone may have given the information for him, thinking he was born in the states.  If he came over when he was a child, he may have lost quite a bit of his accent or intentionally tried to sound American.

Dace/Dacey:  Is is pronounced like ace with a d in front, or is it similar to lacy?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 April 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Gladys Lavina Dace - born 1906 England aged 19 years married 31 January 1925 - Detroit Michigan. Father John (stenographer) and Mother Florence. Spouse Austin G Roberts born Florida and aged 24 years. Father Francis (shipman) and Mother Susan Curry.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 April 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
Coge Blvd-gore Avenue-fifth St-relly Avenue Pharr, Hidalgo, Texas.

Austen S Roberts  39 Born Florida. Manager - Valley Fruit Vegetable Co
Gladys Roberts  34 Born England.
Shirley M Roberts  13 Born Detroit.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 April 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
Florence Eveline Dace born 1903 England married 28 April 1923 Highland Park Michigan. Father John and Mother Mary Harper  ??? Spouse :- Robert F Brown born California and aged 21 years. Father Bolton and Mother Lucy Fletcher. Witness Elliott H Turner and John Dace.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 April 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
Staepel Detroit Wayne Michigan 1930

Robert Brown  28 Born California. Technician. Radio.
Florence Brown  27 Born England.
Daughter Brown  3 Born Michigan.

Bancroft Youngstown, Mahoning, Ohio 1940

Robert Brown  38 Born California.
Florence Brown  37 Born England.
Daughter Brown  13 Born Michigan.
Daughter Brown  8 Born Ohio.

Sandra

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 April 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
I don't think this has been mentioned; could there be any connection:

John Dacey married Emily Baldos(?).  John was of Detroit, Michigan, born England, age 19, Metal Finisher.  Father was John and mother was Lydia Duke. Married 9 June 1934.  In the presence of Frank Florek and Bernice Baldos.  Clergyman was a Roman Catholic priest.

Lydia Duke was his stepmother so this is likely his 1st marriage, the Roman Catholic marriage does not surprise me as his aunt married in a RC ceremony to. 
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 April 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
Possible death record for Robert  Brown (husband of Florence) born 19 July 1901 and passed away April 1975  Last Residence Last Residence 33589 Tarpon Springs, Pinellas, Florida

Possible for Florence :- Florida Death Index Florence Eva Brown - 28 April 1901 passed away 3 June 1993 Pinellas Florida.

Sandra

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 April 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
So he was born John Aden Dace to Florence Warham & John Dace born 1907. That sounds like it could be a good match, though why the name change John, Aden, then John & changing the surname to Dacey??  Also saying he was born in the states. As i mentioned above i think his brother did the same. Would they have had better prospects if they said this? I know Aden's uncles father did the same he was born in Ireland but claimed he was born in Liverpool as the irish were not held in great esteem

I'm not entirely sure, i've always taken it to sound Dace as in Lace.

I know quite a few people who use their middle names, rather than their first names.  I've never asked why they chose to do this.  I also have several family members who have done the same.  Their middle names were easier to understand, they liked them better, they were more unique.

He may have had better job prospects if he said he was born in the states.  Someone may have given the information for him, thinking he was born in the states.  If he came over when he was a child, he may have lost quite a bit of his accent or intentionally tried to sound American.

Dace/Dacey:  Is is pronounced like ace with a d in front, or is it similar to lacy?

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 April 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Either a Dacey John Aden or John Aden Dacey (depending upon which site is referenced) had a patent for a therapeutic device.  He was of Detroit, Michigan.  Dated 1954 and 1957.

Do you have a link for this so i can have a look?

J x