Author Topic: What is a Contiguous Parish?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What is a Contiguous Parish?
« on: Friday 17 April 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
This is probably a really stupid question but what is a contiguous parish?  ???

Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Contiguous Parish?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Any parish which shares a boundary or border with the one in question.

So for example, the contiguous parishes of Seale in Surrey are:

Ash, Farnham, Elstead, Puttenham, Wanborough in Surrey, plus Aldershot in Hampshire

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nell. 

That's given me something to think about.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
If you are struggling to figure out which parishes are near each other take a look at genuki.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
This is probably a really stupid question but what is a contiguous parish?  ???

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a question to which we don't yet know the answer. By you asking it, hundreds of other people will also now know the answer.  :)

Craclyns right - look at Genuki and also some areas on there have map diagrams of the parishes so you can really get a feel of how it all fits together And why your relative might have been buried / baptised somewhere you might never have thought of, simply because of a nearby parish.  I had siblings baptised in 3 different parishes over time even though the parents lived in the same house all the time. It was VERY confusing.
North East of England

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
Also don't rule out the possibility that they may have been non-conformists and used an alternative to the local parish church.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 April 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
I've been searching for this woman for about 10 years; I have tracked her on the census from 1841 through to 1901.  Of those, she gives Purton, Wiltshire as her birthplace 4 times, Gloucestershire once, Not Known appears once, and Codrington once.  There is a woman by the same name in the 1841 census in Purton, with father, but this one cannot be my lady as the 1841 census was taken after she married.

I found a scribbled note in my files with a baptism in Brinkworth, which for some reason I didn't pursue back then (note to self: always check files!), found it on the Brinkworth OPC site, which gives Purton as a contiguous parish.  Although quite how she would have met her husband and gotten to Old Sodbury in Gloucestershire to marry would still be a mystery.  It's all made more difficult by the fact that there was a lazy vicar in Old Sodbury who didn't write down fathers names in the marriage register.