Author Topic: William Wallace of Halket or Hawket Park near Kilmarnock  (Read 5165 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: William Wallace of Halket or Hawket Park near Kilmarnock
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 May 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Yes it is fascinating!  But during that time a father could never disinherit his eldest/only son because of the law of primogeniture which gave him automatic right to any real estate / immoveable property before female elder siblings.  Sometimes, because of this, no mention of the son or any real estate was made in a will, dealing only with the distribution of the moveable property.  See: http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/willstestaments-and-inheritance-scotland/70/

Regards

Just a point of caution .... As correctly stated the law of primogeniture accepted at the time as  standard procedure meant that the eldest son was often missed from any testaments (wills). In addition to this it also meant that in some cases heritable properties passed down only through a male line of descent regardless of how distant.

Given this . one  possible scenario is that William had only the three daughters and upon his death the estate went to his grandson as the nearest male relative rather than the daughters.

Offline namac56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Wallace of Halket or Hawket Park near Kilmarnock NOW FINISHED
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jonn
I managed to find William's death last night and it confirms that I have been barking up the wrong tree.  Dates had always worried me but I felt here were connections to make it worth keeping the link open.  Now I start again and can delete the elder William Wallace from my tree!  Pity - Hawket Park looks grand!!  I do wonder what happened to the boy born in 1811 - must have died young, I guess.
Thank you to everyone for their help with this.

Offline namac56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 June 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks - yes, I think you are right ... so it's back to the drawing board for me on this branch!
Thank you for your help!

Offline Alex Flynn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 July 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
DISSOLUTION OF CO PARTNERSHIP.

WILLIAM WALLACE and COMPANY Grocers, Tea, Wine,
and Spirit Merchants, at 55 Portland Street Kilmarnock was dissolved on the 28th day of June 1853 ,
by mutual consent. The Subscriber William Wallace
 Carstairs.

I have added a picture of his shop. If your ancestors are from Kilmarnock try the facebook site (Kilmarnock when you were a kid) over 13'000 members someone might be able to help.  There is also the Burns Monument Centre in Kilmarnock that helps with family history .