Author Topic: Rosina PALMER Worcester's lady Mayoress  (Read 8987 times)

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rosina PALMER Worcester's lady Mayoress
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 June 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Norman

I was in Worcester today so went along to the Guildhall. Rosina was  Mayor in 1943-44. Her portrait in the Guildhall "was presented by the Worcester Co-operative Society Ltd in appreciation of Co-operative and Public Services and in celebration of the Co-operative Centenary* during her year of office as Mayor of the City".

The educational work of the Worcester Co-operative Society was assisted by the various branches of the Women's Guild. Rosina Palmer was for 8 years the Secretary of the Birmingham and Worcester District Association of Women's Guilds, but she had to resign because of Municipal duties etc. 

Her husband Thomas rose from clerk in 1892 to cashier and on to General Secretary of the Worcester Co-operative Society and was very highly respected. The book "The Origin and Progress  of the Worcester Co-operative Society, Limited 1881-1931" contains a photograph of him.

(*The Co-operative movement began in Rochdale in 1844)

Regards
Jack

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 05:32 BST (UK) »
Jack
That's Brilliant and thank you very much for your help and kindness.
Rosina and her husband both died in 1950 and 1951and their probate details are available on Ancestry.
Would you know if there are copies of the painting available.  I have only found a poor image on a BBC site.
Again Thank You
Kindest regards
norman

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Norman
I don’t think there are copies available. Try contacting  the Mayor, Councillor Roger Knight, http://mayor.worcester.gov.uk/?page_id=147
 “The Guildhall” has the copyright of the painting and  the Mayor would first have to agree to let you have a better copy and then the Mayor/member of staff would have to contact the BBC Your Paintings for a higher resolution copy. You would need to check if there would be a charge.

The painting at the Guildhall is on a landing of the main staircase and is above head height. As you can see from the info. on the BBC website the painting is very large. The background is rather dark, and as it is an oil painting it reflects the light in a way that I think would make it difficult to get a good photograph.

Regards
Jack

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 January 16 09:57 GMT (UK) »
If you use this for research and credit Worcester Corporation you will not infringe copyright.
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline HLBWOR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 March 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Norman,

I know this thread is 3 years old so this is a long shot but Rosie Palmer was my Great-Grandmother and I might be able to help. I would like to know about my extended family too. She was indeed Mayor in her own right, with Thomas supporting her in her endeavours. There is a massive portrait of her in the Worcester Guild Hall, of which I have a photo if you would like a copy.

Hope this reaches you.

Helen