Author Topic: Richard Barrow, b1884  (Read 1491 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Barrow, b1884
« on: Sunday 19 April 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
I am helping a friend to trace his family tree, and have hit a problem! ;D

Richard Barrow, age 41, married Gladys May Corlett in 1925 at St Silas, Liverpool.
His father's name was also Richard.

But, I have 3 possible Richards to choose from!

1. b March qtr 1883, Ormskirk district. Actually born in Skelmersdale.
    I have him, with his parents, on 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses.

2. b March 1884, Bradford, Yorkshire.
    I have him only on the 1891 census; boarders on the Isle of Man.
    (Gladys May Corlett was from a Manx family, who were in Liverpool by 1911). Coincidence?!

3. b September qtr 1883, Prescot. This looks to be the Richard born in Marton, Lancashire?
    I have the family on 1891 census (in Blackpool) and 1901 census (Carleton, Poulton-le-Fylde).

I will be going to Liverpool Record Office at the end of the month, so I can finally get the marriage record.

But, in the meantime can anybody help me here?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Barrow, b1884
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 April 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
No 1 Richard Barrow baptism is on Lan-opc - if you need to check - parents are Richard and Elizabeth - occupation a Collier
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 April 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Allan!

I thought I had checked Lan-OPC? Obviously not!!

Once I get the marriage details, I can cross-check father's occupation, and hopefully the witnesses will prove useful! ;D

This Richard has always been my favoured one, but I can't yet rule out any of the others.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
ha ha - I favour the Isle of Man one - a bit of a coincidence a Richard Barrow born 1884 ,Bradford ,the right year AND Gladys May Corlett were both in IOM in 1891 census.... :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
If I could only find him in later censuses, it might sway me?! ::)

Aha! There are Merchant Navy records for him - which fits with what we know of his later years! ;D

Aha, again! ;D
Just found on 1911, a Richard Barrow, born Leeds, living in Onchan, IoM.
Need to check that out at library tomorrow.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
I spotted the Leeds born Richard Barrow in 1911 census an hour ago ,but didn't post because of the 1911 census rule ...we can't post until you do ....
so
Richard Barrow was still in IOM in 1911 census - but Gladys was in Liverpool by 1911 census ....do I have that right ?
Onchan is at the top of Douglas Promenade
where was Gladys in the IOM on previous census returns ??
ADDED
B 1899 IN Douglas - 1901 in Bradden,IOM = 1.5 MILES AWAY ...looks like our Merchant Seaman was on the IOM ferries to Liverpool...

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 April 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Nice spot! Shall have to ask at the Manx Museum Library tomorrow if they have any records for IoMSPC?

But I suspect they are in Liverpool?

Bradford Richard looking more and more likely ;D

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Our Richard was an Able Seaman on the marriage details!

Merchant Seaman's records show a Richard Barrow, born 1884 in Bradford (Idle), who has a card marked as Prisoner of War in WW2.

This matches with what family know! He was in a civilian POW camp in Poland; the same as P.G. Wodehouse.

That's a clincher for me ;D

Now to find his family!! :-\