Author Topic: Need help with old Welsh family album - identification and handwriting?  (Read 18848 times)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with old Welsh family album - identification and handwriting?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 April 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Could it be  ysgubor  and if so it is barn, brawd is brother,  and taid grandfather
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 April 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
DragonT is correct, Uncle(from) F(f)estiniog etc, probably Blaenau Ffestiniog rather than Llan Ffestiniog.
The other is Auntie Jane Scubor (Ysgubor) Ddu. Ysgubor Ddu where, can't say.
Emyr

Offline hettie2000

• RootsChat Member
  • Gt-grandfather JC Oldham
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 April 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
Another possibility? Ewythr is the Welsh for uncle - perhaps Stiniog is a diminutive of Festiniog, as in Blaenau Festiniog, so Ewythr Stiniog Brawd Taid would be Uncle Stiniog, Granddad's Brother.

I like this interpretation! And to think I've spent all afternoon putting variations of 'Stinisa' into Ancestry and coming up with nothing, hehe. Uncle Stiniog has a nice ring to it :-).

Would Black Barn be the larger area? Very little comes up when I google it, and I'd love to pin-point this place on the censuses
Sorry that was just me thinking aloud as to what Scybor-ddu might mean.

Oops, I see now! Not much information about this tiny place on the web... I'll keep looking.

I think the older child wearing a dress is actually a girl- it was common to cut off the hair of a person ill with fever in those days.

I also thought 'girl' but she does look very sickly... bless her.

Could it be  ysgubor  and if so it is barn, brawd is brother,  and taid grandfather

Ahh, so maybe not so straightforward as Scybor Ddu on Anglesey, then?

DragonT is correct, Uncle(from) F(f)estiniog etc, probably Blaenau Ffestiniog rather than Llan Ffestiniog.
The other is Auntie Jane Scubor (Ysgubor) Ddu. Ysgubor Ddu where, can't say.

I have another photo of the same man, taken in Bl. Festiniog so I think your assumption is correct, and I need to look at the census for that area.

Thanks everyone, this has helped a lot! I'll report back if I find anything. Or with more questions :-).
Hyde, Oldham, Anderton, Barber, Lord, Bowler, Roebuck, Hadfield, Cowell - all Cheshire/Lancashire

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 April 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
It might be Stiniog Isa - lower ffestiniog maybe. Agree with all the other meanings. what a super find - it would be great if anyone is related to this family - odd how things like this are parted with.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 April 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Trying Sgubor Ddu in the Welsh newspaper archive doesn't get much - Ysgubor Ddu (the full word, which is often shortened to Scubor) achieve around 30 hits, all related to the Anglesey location

Offline hettie2000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 April 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks GillyJ and Mabel, I have a few leads to explore now :-)

Here's the other cabinet card of the bearded gentleman, surrounded by his daughters (?). Stamped in the reverse is W J Roberts, Bolton House, Bl. Festiniog. On the right hand side of the photo is a small image pinned to the curtain. Am I right in thinking this might be the deceased wife/mother?

I've been looking through the Ffestiniog census (1891) for a family that 'fits' but can see nothing so far.

Hyde, Oldham, Anderton, Barber, Lord, Bowler, Roebuck, Hadfield, Cowell - all Cheshire/Lancashire

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 April 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
W J Roberts, Bolton House, Blaenau Ffestiniog was a photographer. XS/2572/1-19 Gwynedd Archives, includes a number of photographs by him, 1900? - 1914.
Emyr

Offline hettie2000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 April 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
W J Roberts, Bolton House, Blaenau Ffestiniog was a photographer. XS/2572/1-19 Gwynedd Archives, includes a number of photographs by him, 1900? - 1914.
Emyr

Thanks so much! I'll look on a later census than I have been doing ;-)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 May 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
There are 2 dwellings listed as Ysgubor Ddu on the census searches. One is Newborough Anglesey (an entry in 1911 for a young couple), the other is in the Llanbadrig parish, near hamlets of Clegyrog and Carreglefn. I agree with what others have said in that I would say "Sgubor" is the colloquial version of Ysgubor and Ewyrth is uncle and "Stiniog" is how people would have pronounced  Blaenau Ffestiniog. Maybe possible to trace which family member moved to Langton Staffordshire and link them to the rest of the family from earlier censuses.