Author Topic: Marriage Record Thomas BARRY & Brigid Cosgrove/Cosgrave. TALLOW, Waterford  (Read 3178 times)

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thanks to a Barry researcher from Tallow for providing me with the marriage record for the above couple: 
Date of Marriage:  July 12, 1818
Parish/District       Tallow, County of Waterford
Groom:                 Thomas Barry
Bride:                   Brigid Cosgrove or Cosgrave
Both Roman Catholic
Witness 1              Joanna Cosgrove or Cosgrave
Witness 2              Mary Healy
Officiator:              Foran, N.
Place:                    Tallow

There was no information regarding their parents.  We know that Richard Barry and wife unknown were the parents of Thomas Barry.  We don't know who Brigid's parents were or if the surname was actually Cosgrove or Cosgrave.  I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada and at the funeral for my great grandmother, Mrs. Mary Barry, there were Cosgroves listed as her pallbearers so I am guessing there must be a relationship and that most likely Brigid and Joanna listed above were also related and were both Cosgrove. 

If anybody could help with either the Barry or Cosgrove/Cosgrave families living in Tallow during the early 1800's, it would be much appreciated.  There must be a death record or grave inscription somewhere that other family researchers have found.

We are going on a tour to Ireland & Scotland in August-September so I am hoping that I can find some Barry or Cosgrove researchers from Tallow that I may be able to contact.

Thanking you in advance for any help.  It would be very much appreciated.

Mary Cudmore
PEI, CANADA

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Record Thomas BARRY & Brigid Cosgrove/Cosgrave. TALLOW, Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
In pigot's 1824 directory there is a Edmund Barry , apothecary at Tallow County Waterford, and in the same directory a Robert Barry, Corn merchant at Tallow.

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Record Thomas BARRY & Brigid Cosgrove/Cosgrave. TALLOW, Waterford
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 15 03:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and the more we learn about the Barry family in Tallow, the easier it should be to connecting the dots.  The name Edmund Barry caught my eye as we had an Edmund Barry who came to PEI (Prince Edward Island) by way of Newfoundland, as did John Richard Barry.  I will check out Robert and Edmund Barry further to see if there may be a connection.

According to the letter below, written by Thomas Barry of Tallow in 1851 to his brother, John Richard Barry of Egmont Bay, PEI, it seems to me that his family were weavers.  Thomas refers to his daughter, Elizabeth Barry, in his letter.  Her husband was James Noonan and they had a little boy named John Noonan, born Oct 13, 1844 in Tallow, so I am presuming that James Noonan lived there as well.  We don't know if the child was adopted after the sudden death of both parents on the same day, or if the Noonans had relatives living in Boston who took him in.

Below is the information on Edmund Barry born in Ireland, who emigrated to Newfoundland and then moved over to PEI.  There are several similar connections in that he was a big man and his descendants have red hair and freckles, like our Barry descendants.  He also lived to be in his 90's as did John Richard Barry.  He was a farmer here in PEI but there was also a John Barry who was a blacksmith and a Robert Barry, who was a teacher. 

Death Record
Name   Robert Barry   
Date of Burial   30   January   1878   
Source   pre-1906 Death Index. St. Dunstan's R.C. Church, Charlottetown, Book 3.   
Notes   Charlottetown Roman Catholic Cemetery   
Contact Us to inquire about getting a copy of this record. Please be advised that copies of originals are not available in all cases.
Robert Barry
Feb. 7, 1838 (?) "I bapize Mary, born yesterday of the lawfull marriage of John Dunphy and Anne Power. sp. Robert Barry and Anastasia Butler Jare Norris ?" St. Dunstan's CS88 P73 C3 Reel 11 NEHGS

http://members.tripod.com/al_beagan/power.htm

July 18, 1836 "I bapt. James, born the 17th of July of John Dunphy and Ann Power. sp. Thomas Dunphy and Bridget Bary ?" St. Dunstan's CS88 P73 C3 Reel 11 N

We estimate Robert Barry's birth to be about 1807.

Note:  The info in the Source below that John Barry came to PEI in 1823 is not correct for John Richard Barry.   According to his son's obit, John came to Newfoundland in 1812 and moved to PEI in 1815.

4Charlottetown Herald, Charlottetown, PEI, 26 Aug 1896. "!OBITUARY: Suddenly at Egmont Bay, on the
     12th inst, of heart failure, Francis Barry, aged 66 years, leaving a wife, three sons and three daughters. His funeral
     was at St. James Church, Egmont Bay and his mortal remains were laid to rest in the adjoining cemetery. The  deceased, who had been preventative officer of Egmont Bay for the last 25 years, was a son of John Barry, who  emigrated to Newfoundland in 1812 from Tallow County, Waterford, Ireland. Three years later he came to      Malpeque and settled at Egmont Bay, where the deceased was born 9 Feb 1830."

Source:  "Along the North Shore"  Pages 226 & 227
A Letter From Ireland:
On February 26, 1851, Thomas Barry of County Waterford, Ireland wrote the following letter to his brother, John who lived at Egmont Bay, Lot 15. John Barry had left County Tipperary via Waterford in 1823 and landed at  Malpeque before settling at Lot 11. He moved from Lot 11 to Egmont Bay and several descendants still live in Wellington area today.  The original document in the possession of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Bulger, Foxely River.  Joseph's grandmother was Catherine Barry (1825-1889), very likely a daughter of John. The letter is a realistic portrayal of the problems and concerns of Irish tenants during the mid-nineteenth century. One can almost feel the sorrow in the writer's heart as he corresponds with a brother he has not seen for nearly thirty years.

I will post the letter in another message as this one exceeds the quota

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
 Tallow, 26th Feb. 1851

My Dear Brother:

I write you these few lines hoping to find you and your family in good health as this leaves me at present.  Thanks be to God for his mercy.  The reason I write this letter now is for fear that you did not receive my letter I wrote you in the month of last November.  Which in that letter I stated all particulars respecting myself and family and also the reason of my son not going out (to PEI) in the fall. I also stated to you in that letter respecting the answers I received from Mr. Wm. Yeo which if you received that letter I am sure that it would give you every information.  But for fear that it should miscarry, I write you this second letter now.  The reason I delayed my first was to let you know about the answer I received from Mr. Wm. Yeo. When I first wrote him a letter he said in reply to me that he could not give me a decided answer as the barque did not arrive up to that time.  But he requested of me to write him a second letter which I did and his answer was then that the season was rather late and that the vessel would not go until in or about the first of April precisely and that I could go.  I also stated to him to know whether he would find my son in provisions for the passage or whether you said anything about it and he said nothing to me in either letter I received from him.

Dear brother, I hope that as soon as this letter reaches you that you will write me an answer as the time is drawing near and also that you will send me a few Pounds in money to fit him (his son) out for the passage as I am not able to do so for myself.  You may easily judge of the state of things in this Kingdom now since your absence from it. The flannel in your time we were paid 1/1 1/2 (pence) per yard for working it.  We must do it now for 1/2 pence per yard and not employed three parts of the year round at that same price.

I hope that you will do all that lies in your power to take my son John out, as he being the eldest in the family now.  The second boy his name is Francis  and the youngest his name is Richard, called after my father.  I had but one daughter.  Her name was Elizabeth.  She was married and her husband was killed by a fall from his scaffold and she died immediately after hearing tell of his death.  I have a little boy aged seven years, a fine hearty young fellow.  My son Francis enlisted in the line and is now soldiering in the East Indies.  I also wrote to Benjamin as you desired and received no answer from him. I also feel sorry for the loss of your wife and son and I hope that I will see you before I depart this life.

Yours,                                                                                                                         Thomas Barry,
                                                                                   until death.         
     Household: