Author Topic: BURKE - Winifred....  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BURKE - Winifred....
« on: Monday 20 April 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
Just returning to Family History after many years of Lapse & family health issues.... I am in need of assistance and would appreciate any advice or direction.

My GG Grandmother was an Irish Convict transported & arrived in Port Jackson, NSW Australia 17 August, 1840 aboard the Vessel " Margaret (3)." She was tried for larceny and sentenced to 7 years. From the research that I had done some years ago.. it would appear that she was imprisoned in Grange-Gorman Prison, Dublin... prior to transportation,

My query is twofold.... (a) where could I obtain/purchase a copy of the Trial held April 6th, 1840, which she was sentenced to 7 years transportation.. and also I understand that she had a prior conviction in which she received a 6 months sentence, methinks in County Galway but not sure..... again I would like to obtain a copy of this trial as well..

Winifred Burke was the daughter of Patrick Burke ( a Miller) and her mother was Mary Ward and they came from County Galway.. Winifred's Birth year was Circa 1820 or there about's... I have no other information about her family or if any other siblings.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

Faysie
Sach/Saich- Essex.
Kent & North Family - Hampshire.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland
Sharp/e- Sth Kyme-Pinchbeck & Blankney, Spalding- Lincolnshire, also Dorrington , Holland fen & Leicestershire.
Peck, Welbourn & Leadenha Lincolnshire
Plowright - Pinchbeck. Lincolnshire
Higman & Seldon Family- Stoke Damerol. Devon.
Freebody -Middlesex-London
Gravel- Prestwich. Manch-Lancashire
Fraser/Frazer- Salford  Manch Lancashire &  Staffordshire
Berry- Bollington. Cheshire
Micklethwaite -Stalybridge & Tintwhistl

Offline explorer2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BURKE - Winifred....
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Faysie
My first post appears immediately after yours on the forum. I asked about my great grandmother Winifred Coyne, born in Galway around 1847. 'Gaffy' found links to several applications she made in 1916 for a government pension. She only had a vague recollection of the details, but one of the applications mentioned the head of the family as W. Burke. That, together with the name Winifred, suggests a possible connection?

explorer2015
Holmes, Archibald, Hamilton, McGinlay, Coyle, Coyne

Offline explorer2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
There's a Winifred Burke, aged 20, a servant, who arrived in New York on the ship 'Barbara' 0n 19 September 1848.
http://www.celticcousins.net/ireland/galwayships2.htm

Holmes, Archibald, Hamilton, McGinlay, Coyle, Coyne

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Explorer2015 for your reply.... I can confirm that my Winifred Burke did not go to New York in 1848... she was here in Australia at that time....also I'm sure about a connection in your earlier post....as my Winifred was born much earlier than your Gran in 1847.... but " Thanks Anyway."

Sach/Saich- Essex.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland
Sharp/e- Sth Kyme-Pinchbeck & Blankney, Spalding- Lincolnshire, also Dorrington , Holland fen & Leicestershire.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked for a birth/baptism for Wninfred and the only two I could find between 1810-1835 are the following;

Baptism:
Winifred Burke
baptised: 12 Feb 1818
place:Tuam,Galway
parents:Patrick Burke & Bridget Feely

* Bridget is not the mother your looking for
**also found a baptism for a Winifred born 1828 Galway to father Patrick but again mother is different-this time its Elizabeth Kiggins

Funny enough tho' I found 6 births/baptisms for children born to Patrick Burke & Mary Ward. They are;

Patrick
born 18 Feb 1814
bap 22 Feb 1814
Loughrea,Galway
parents:Patrick Burke/Mary Ward
sponsors:Stephan Madden/Clara Lynch

Maria Ann
born 7 Feb 1817
bap 12 Feb 1817
Loughrea,Galway
sponsors:Denis Lorcan/Prudentic Rigney

Catherine
born 14 Feb 1824
bap 15 Feb 1824
Loughrea,Galway
sponsors:Patrick Sweeney/Margaret King

Bridget
born 4 Dec 1826
bap 6 Dec 1826
Loughrea,Galway

Bridget
born 9 Oct 1828
bap 12 Oct 1828
Loughrea,Galway

Honora
bap 14 July 1831
Loughrea,Galway

Being as there is a gap between 1817-1824 either the records don't exist.are illegible, or missing. When the parish records come online this summer(fingers crossed) you could check Loughrea again to see what the story is between 1817-1824.
Also, I cold not locate a marriage for the parents in Galway or anywhere else during that timeframe. Hope this helps,Kim

** you may want to email the National Archives in Dublin as they hold the transportation records and also9 many of the court records and may be able to direct you as to where to get a trial copy.

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank You so very much "blemdookie" for the information about Patrick Burke and Mary Ward.... I am at a loss as to understand why they would have their other children Baptised and no mention of my Winifred?....methinks that Winifred told a lot of Fibs during her lifetime and am wondering if she has used Patrick & Mary to side track yet again....however I will try and put the pieces of the puzzle together and continue.... I really appreciate you replying and hope I can find something soon . 

Kind regards
Faysie
Sach/Saich- Essex.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland