Author Topic: Two Zacharie Williams - were they related?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Two Zacharie Williams - were they related?
« on: Monday 20 April 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to use the grossly inexact science of naming patterns to determine the possible origins of my Williams ancestors.

William Williams married Marie Barre in 1608 in Wantage. However, I have been unable to find a baptism of a William Williams in Wantage (or elsewhere) in the appropriate timeframe, so cannot be certain of his parentage or place of birth.

Here’s where the naming patterns come in …

Do you think that Zacharie was a sufficiently unusual forename in the late 16th / early 17th centuries to mean that two men named Zacharie Williams born about 7 miles apart, but 35 years apart, were probably related?

1.   Zacharie Williams, bap. 9 July 1581 Coleshill (near Faringdon), son of Robert Williams and ?

2.   Zacharie Williams, bap. 8 Aug 1616 Wantage, 3rd (or 4th) son of William Williams and Marie Barre

There is no record of Robert having a son named William. He did, however, name other sons John and Thomas; both names used by William and Marie.

Am I just clutching at straws?

Justin

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two Zacharie Williams - were they related?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
Probably not a good idea to assume anything other than that which you can prove. However on FreeREG you can find your ancestors, including William Williams born Wantage -baptised 13/2/1582-Father Thomas, Mother Cristian. Zacharie is the fifth of their children, and there are a few more after him, all on FreeREG.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Two Zacharie Williams - were they related?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Certainly wouldn't assume anything. It would be a hypothesis requiring proof.

The William Williams born in 1582, died in Dec 1584 according to Family Search.