Author Topic: Help! I've misplaced Hurworth  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! I've misplaced Hurworth
« on: Monday 20 April 15 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I hope someone can help.

I have been doing my family tree for a number of years now (2009) and have browsed many images on family search (Bishops Transcripts etc).

However, I realised a few months ago that I should have been keeping a record of the places I found my information, i.e. proof in case in the future someone else wants to take over or even query my findings.  So in the last few months I have set about going over everything I have done in the past and making a note of the source of information.  Which has been successful and very useful so far.

However, I can not for my life find Hurworth going back to at least 1777.  I have done it in the past and remember quite clearly seeing the original images.  I thought I had nothing better to do than go on family search, bishops transcripts, Durham, Hurworth and 1777.  However, it seems to start in 1787 (which would be okay as the main family member I was tracing was baptised in 1789) but she is not there!  I have made a note of the dates for siblings going back to 1777 and I wasn't making it up - honest ;D

Thought I must be mistaken and maybe it was Parish records, but they don't appear to be on family search and I am sure they were.  I checked FreeReg and nothing!  What happened to them?

I am looking for Elizabeth Holbourn, baptised 25.10.1789 Hurworth, father James (weaver) and mother Eleanor.

I know I have the written information, but I really wished I had saved the original or at least referenced it correctly in the first place. 

Please help.  Mo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I've misplaced Hurworth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
Durham Records Online http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/NewSearch.php is showing the baptism of an Elizabeth Holbourn in 1789, father's name James  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

I thought for one wonderful moment you had solved the problem.  Darlington - genius!

Unfortunately, she is not there either in the Durham Bishop Transcripts for Darlington (which start in 1820) or Darlington St Cuthberts for that date.

I know I have viewed them "for free" as I have never subscribed to any parish record sites.

It's a complete mystery  ???

Thanks for your interest.

Mo

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:20 BST (UK) »

I am looking for Elizabeth Holbourn, baptised 25.10.1789 Hurworth, father James (weaver) and mother Eleanor.

Not sure that this helps you No image  ???  family search has this entry
 bp Elizabeth Holbourn 25 Oct 1789 Hurworth parents James & Ellen
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N58J-M2X

Also these baptisms Hurworth parents James & Eleanor HOLBORN
John Lodge  1784, Catherine 1792 & James 1777

ADDED

Have you seen this?

Hurworth baptisms, marriages, burials 1770-1812

At Hurworth All Saints in Darlington district, from a combination of the parish register and the Bishop’s Transcript for maximum detail, covering 1770-1812:
970 baptisms, 243 marriages, plus banns called here but not married here (only one)
704 burials

Hurworth was one of those parishes where the Bishop’s Transcript of the parish register sometimes contains more detail than the original register......

details from http://durhamrecordsonline.com/updates/2014/07/hurworth-baptisms-marriages-burials-1770-1812/

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you'll find anything here from family search
Parish Register Transcripts Hurworth (County Durham) 1787 - 1885
There's 495 images

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11061-171226-96?cc=1309819&wc=9K5M-L24:13618101,27383201,27383202
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

I thought for one wonderful moment you had solved the problem.  Darlington - genius!

Unfortunately, she is not there either in the Durham Bishop Transcripts for Darlington (which start in 1820) or Darlington St Cuthberts for that date.

I know I have viewed them "for free" as I have never subscribed to any parish record sites.

It's a complete mystery  ???

Thanks for your interest.

Mo

The index entry on Durham Records Online is misleading.
Their parish records are grouped by 'districts' which equate to registration districts.
So the baptism to which I referred you to was in Darlington 'district' not necessarily in Darlington itself, and is most likely the one you are looking for (I do appreciate that you've said you didn't originally find it there).

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 13:54 BST (UK) »

Not sure that this helps you No image  ???  family search has this entry
 bp Elizabeth Holbourn 25 Oct 1789 Hurworth parents James & Ellen
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N58J-M2X

Also these baptisms Hurworth parents James & Eleanor HOLBORN
John Lodge  1784, Catherine 1792 & James 1777

ADDED

Have you seen this?

Hurworth baptisms, marriages, burials 1770-1812

At Hurworth All Saints in Darlington district, from a combination of the parish register and the Bishop’s Transcript for maximum detail, covering 1770-1812:
970 baptisms, 243 marriages, plus banns called here but not married here (only one)
704 burials

Hurworth was one of those parishes where the Bishop’s Transcript of the parish register sometimes contains more detail than the original register......

details from http://durhamrecordsonline.com/updates/2014/07/hurworth-baptisms-marriages-burials-1770-1812/

These are exactly the records I am looking for along with Elizabeth's siblings so I wasn't dreaming but, as you say, there are no images.  Very strange!  I can seem them in my minds eye (and their father's profession was a Weaver which is not on the transcript so I must have seen them).

Maybe family search removed the images.  How knows.

At least I have some proof.  Thanks again everyone.

Mo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
Maybe family search removed the images.  How knows.

I have a vague memory of someone mentioning a while ago that they had noticed that some records had been removed from the BT's. But like you i can't remember where I read it......  ;D

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/146/2 1787-1885 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at FamilySearch Historical Records. The current mis-spelling of the parish is awaiting re-engineering. https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Hurworth,_Durham_Genealogy
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections http://reed.dur.ac.uk/xtf/view?docId=ead/ddr/ddradmin.xml
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk