Author Topic: 1851 help looking for 2 people, first is Elizabeth Erskine ?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1851 help looking for 2 people, first is Elizabeth Erskine ?
« on: Monday 20 April 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am looking for 2 people (mother and son) in 1851 in Fife Scotland. The first is Elizabeth Erskine, born abt 1816 in Fife (maybe Torryburn) to Anne Inglis and James Erskine. She is living with her mother Anne Erskine in 1841 aged 25 in Torryburn Fife but after that she is a mystery. Secondly im looking for her son James Heatlie born in 1833 in Fifeshire, he is with his mother Elizabeth Erskine in 1841 but he is transcribed as Heasley not Heatlie. James was born illegitimate to John Heatlie and Elizabeth so it says on his birth registration, BUT when James got married in 1855 to Janet Philip it says both parents are still living, by the time james died in 1878 they were both deceased, so sometime between 1855 and 1878 both his parents had gone. Also on James marriage AND death certificate it makes out his parents were married, Father John Heatlie, mother Elizabeth Heatlie maiden name Erskine, I can find no marriage for them and no death for Elizabeth either, I don't know if she married at all either. Any help finding either Elizabeth or James would be a great help, and I hope it all makes sense.
Thankyou in advance.
dawn

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 help looking for 2 people, first is Elizabeth Erskine ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
If James' parents died in or after 1855, then their death certificates should be available to view and download, for a small fee, on ScotlandsPeople web site. Have you searched there?

Doesn't look as if Elizabeth and James' father were married - the birth cert has him as illegitimate and the 1841 census has James age 8 with his mother Elizabeth Erksine and what could be his Erskine grandmother. Not uncommon for marriage certs to say parents were married when they weren't: James may have bent the truth a bit, or the registrar just assumed it when James gave the names of his parents.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 help looking for 2 people, first is Elizabeth Erskine ?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 15 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying.
Its states on Johns marriage cert they are alive in 1855. I am looking at the SP site at the minute but stuggling to find anything about Elizabeth. I have searched the deaths for Erskine, and Heatlie and found nothing for her, if she married after 1841, that I don't know about, she would be under her married name for sure. I don't know any thing about his father John Heatlie yet, I was hoping to maybe find Elizabeth and take it from there. Thankyou for your help anyway x
Dawn