Author Topic: McKillop joiners in Greenock, 1860s/70s  (Read 3114 times)

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKillop joiners in Greenock, 1860s/70s
« on: Tuesday 21 April 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across any records of joiners' apprenticeships in Greenock in the 19th century?

I have an intriguing case of a George McKillop born in Ireland around 1853, who comes to Greenock with his family. He later becomes apprentice to a joiner. Now there are lots of joiners in Greenock in the post office directories at that time, at least two of whom also called McKillop. I'm trying desperately to find out whom George was apprenticed to. If he was apprenticed to another McKillop, they may have been related.
It might help me find out where my McKillops who came across from Ireland, originally came from in Scotland.
Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
McKillops of Greenock, Ireland and Mull
Macdonalds of North Uist
Donald Fraser, involved in the '45
Allan Macdonald "out" in the '45
McDerments of Ireland and Ayrshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKillop joiners in Greenock, 1860s/70s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't seen these notices...

George McKillop to Agnes Leitch, third daughter of the late Alexander Harper, cooper, at 17 Nelson Street West, Greenock on 10th January 1877, now 23 Sir Michael Street (Greenock Telegraph 10.1.1902)

A daughter to Mr and Mrs George McKillop, joiner, born at 39 Roxburgh Street, Greenock on 23rd November 1877 (Greenock Telegraph 24.11.1877)

A daughter to Mr and Mrs George McKillop, joiner, born at 72 Wellington Street, Greenock on 6th February 1881 (Greenock Telegraph 7.2.1881)

A son to Mr and Mrs George McKillop, joiner, born at 70 Wellington Street, Greenock on 17th February 1883 (Greenock Telegraph 19.2.1883)

A son to Mr and Mrs George McKillop, joiner, born at 68 Wellington Street, Greenock on 8th March 1885 (Greenock Telegraph 9.3.1885)

A daughter to Mr and Mrs George McKillop, joiner, born at 9 Argyle Street, Greenock on 19th February 1894 (Greenock Telegraph 20.2.1894)

A son to Mr and Mrs George McKillop, joiner, born at 9 Argyle Street, Greenock on 11th September 1896 (Greenock Telegraph 12.9.1896)

Mary, second daughter of George McKillop (joiner, 69 Holmscroft Street), to Alexander Carmichael, at Central Halls, Greenock on 24th June 1903 (Greenock Telegraph 26.6.1903)

Agnes Leitch Harper, wife of George McKillop, joiner, died at 50 Holmscroft Street, Greenock on 14th December 1910 (Greenock Telegraph 14.12.1910)

See here for full list of Intimations from Greenock Telegraph
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes, I have the whole family documented.

What I really want to do is find out where the McKillops came from before they were in Ireland. George's parents, Samuel McKillop and May Jane McRoberts married in Antrim in 1852 and later moved to Greenock where Samuel, George's father, and three of George's siblings all died.
However I'm sure they went originally from Scotland to Ireland, or at least Samuel did.

I wondered if they came to Greenock because they had relations there and if, when George became old enough to start work, he was apprenticed as a joiner because one of the joiners in the town was a relation.
Hence why I'm looking for a lead on joiners' apprenticeships.

Ironically I can find apprenticeship lists for Inverness in the 18th century, but none for Greenock one hundred years later. Surely, something must exist somewhere.

Can anyone else help?
Macdonalds of North Uist

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
The Watt Library might be a good place to check but would it not be a good idea to look into the other McKillops you found in the area to see if there might be a connection to your family?

It's quite likely that your McKillops had been in Ireland for quite a while. There was a tremendous amount of travelling back and forth between Greenock/Glasgow area and Ulster (I'm told that nearly everyone in one particular street in Greenock at one period was actually from Aghadowey and research I've done since has shown a large number of them to have gone from Aghadowey area to Greenock for employment, sending for relatives and friends, etc.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Watt Library is on my list of "things to do". One day I'll get round to visiting and seeing what they have.
As far as the other McKillops are concerned, I've tried going back in their various trees but there are quite a lot of them and so far I've found no connection. It would be nice to know which joiner George was apprenticed to as that might at least indicate which path to investigate further.
There were indeed lots of Irish in Greenock and the possibility that people travelling to and fro between there and Ireland (and that was common) were travelling to family/friends is very likely. That's why the joiner angle is so tantalising. My gut feeling is that that's the reason George became a joiner. I just wish I could prove it.
Macdonalds of North Uist

Offline Andrew Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine, Noted elsewhere that you were looking for information on Archibald and Andrew Thomson
of Greenock. They were first cousins of my Grandfather Andrew Thomson (born 21 October,1884) as their father James,(born 19 June,1869) was my Great Grandfather Archibald Lang Thomson (born11 July,1858) brother. We only knew of one son born to James and his wife Margaret Hughes and that was Archibald Lang Thomson born 16 January,1897 at 38 Mile Street,Landport,Kingston Portsmouth, however my cousin George Thomson has researched our Thomson family back to the 16th century in Perthshire. Let me know if you would like to obtain this information and what method it can be sent to you as it is quite detailed going back 14 generations from Archibald and Andrew.
Ps I also noticed that a Janice McEwan was researching the Thomsons. Do you know how to get in touch with her? 

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 September 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
This is so frustrating. Tried to post a reply earlier but it vanished! Grrr.

Anyway, thanks for getting in touch, Andrew, but I'm not sure I'm the person you mean.
My Thomsons were mostly weavers from Kirkintilloch before some of them moved to Greenock. They're on my grandmother's side, through her father, Alexander, born 1854, his father Robert, born 1821, and his father Alexander, born around 1780/1790. There's only one Archibald I can see, my grandmother's youngest brother born in 1898 and only a couple of earlier siblings called James, born in 1810 and in 1855. None of these seem to fit the ones you mention. I'll try and attach my file on my Thomsons for you to see if it's the same family.
Macdonalds of North Uist

Offline Andrew Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
Thanks for your quick reply but you are correct, there's no connection between the families as our Thomsons were located in Perthshire until approx. 1820 when they moved to Greenock. I came across your name when you were looking for information on Archie Thomson who fought in WW1 and I was also trying to trace my Grandfather's brother Archie Thomson who fought in WW1. My Great Granfather lived at both at
13 Lyndoch Street Greenock and at Gosport/Portsmouth.Apparently a Janice McEwan had replied to one of your queries on one of the War sites and was researching, I believe our Thomsons. Is there any way that you can put her in touch with me. I have already tried through the Great War site without any luck. Thanks once again for your help.

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 September 15 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I'm afraid I don't remember Janice McEwan (it's a while since I've been on here) but I'll have a look and see if I have a contact I can give you.
Best wishes
Christine
Macdonalds of North Uist