Author Topic: Coulthard  (Read 2073 times)

Offline sarah.negus84

• I have turned off my email notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coulthard
« on: Tuesday 21 April 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on William COULTHARD who was born in Scotland between 1800-1820 and married Hannah Rose DOW in Canterbury,New Brunswick,Canada sometime around the 1840s. Hannah was the daughter of John Dow and Hannah Brooks. Little information can be found on William even in Canadian records;the death certificate of his daughter Theodora(1847-1919,md.(1)Abraham COLLICOTT (2)Chesley Hanson)gives his country of birth as Scotland but it does not say which county.
Negus,Johnson,Knox,McLaren,Morrell

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Coulthard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
There is a William Coulthard on Scotlands People site born 22.10.1826 in Annan, Dumfries to William Coulthard and Margaret Wilken.  A*y site census for 1851 has  a WC born about 1826 married to a Hannah in York County, New Brunswick.

Could this be the right William?

Offline sarah.negus84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
There is a William Coulthard on Scotlands People site born 22.10.1826 in Annan, Dumfries to William Coulthard and Margaret Wilken.  A*y site census for 1851 has  a WC born about 1826 married to a Hannah in York County, New Brunswick.

It could be the right one,and the date in the census record would be about accurate. The first name of the William you listed on Scotlands People could very well be him too-I've noticed with Scottish and Irish naming patterns that children,especially first born,are named after their parents and latter children after grandparents. I've seen that as the case with my Irish ancestors.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 17:59 BST (UK) »

It could be the right one,and the date in the census record would be about accurate. The first name of the William you listed on Scotlands People could very well be him too-I've noticed with Scottish and Irish naming patterns that children,especially first born,are named after their parents and latter children after grandparents. I've seen that as the case with my Irish ancestors.
It's usually the opposite way in Scotland.
First laddie named after paternal grandfather.
Second laddie named after maternal grandfather.
First lassie named after maternal grandmother.
Second lassie named after paternal grandmother.
Next laddie & lassie named after the parents.
It's no gospel but near enough.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline sarah.negus84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 18:12 BST (UK) »

It's usually the opposite way in Scotland.
First laddie named after paternal grandfather.
Second laddie named after maternal grandfather.
First lassie named after maternal grandmother.
Second lassie named after paternal grandmother.
Next laddie & lassie named after the parents.
It's no gospel but near enough.

Ok,well at least this gives me something to go on. I'll have to look around Dumfries records and see if I can find anything else. Thanks for your help.

-Sarah