Author Topic: Stuck Please help! Ellen McIlvenna or McSorley  (Read 8871 times)

Offline DMcSorley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuck Please help! Ellen McIlvenna or McSorley
« on: Tuesday 21 April 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I have been having trouble tracing my Great-Great Grandmother Ellen and who my Great-Great Grandfather's father was. As I have found my Great Grandfather on the 1901 census twice I believe once listed as David Mc Sorley living with a Keenan family in Mullaghslin Glebe as a farm servant at 8 years (I believe Bridget Keenan maiden name was McSorley and possibly a Great Aunt of David's, though have not been able to verify that)http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Mullaghslin/Mullaghslin_Glebe/1749311/ and also listed as living with his mother at 16 Convent View in Omagh though listed there as David Mc Ilvenna. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Omagh_Town/Convent_View/1746976/
Then on the 1911 Census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Ballymena_Street/144175/
 In the 10 years between census Ellen appears to of aged by 18 years quite  baffling. I do have a passenger document for Ellen as well from Liverpool to Quebec city on the 9th of July 1911 aboard the Empress of Britain again listed as 48 years old.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
DMcSorley
David Served in The Royal Inniskilling fusiliers and lost one of his eyes on I believe the third day of the war

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck Please help! Ellen McIlvenna or McSorley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
His army records list a gunshot wound to eye & right shoulder with his right eye being removed at Edinburgh Military Hospital 24/11/1914.

Lists his next of kin as father David, mother Ellen, brother John, 37 Abyssinia St, Belfast.

GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline DMcSorley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you miriam. So I'm guessing his fathers name was David McSorley as well then? interesting indeed. I wonder where his father was then when the 1901 and 1911 census were taken, though Ellen is listed as widowed in the 1911 census. I wonder if he was in the military also. Are they all listed as McSorley? maybe I have the wrong Ellen McIlvenna on the 1901 census? Though I don't think so, I think she just didn't fill the forms in with 100% honesty. Also I have Ellen as a passenger from Liverpool to Quebec City in July of 1911 and to Winnipeg in August 1913. I suppose it's possible she went back to Ireland by 1914.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 15 09:37 BST (UK) »
I found a few births on GRONI's website which might be relevant:

James McIlvenna, born 11/11/1907, mother's maiden name McSorley;
John McSorley, born 22/9/1896, no mother's maiden name;
David McSorley, born 31/5/1891, no mother's maiden name.
All registered in Omagh. No sign so far of a marriage for Ellen.

Offline DMcSorley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks Glensman that is them. Annie J Mc Ilvenna is also listed as David and John's older sister who I believe married a Fitzpatrick in Belfast, though for some reason I can't find the record of marriage I had for that right now. Annie J was born approximately 1890. I had some what speculated that James was her child born out of wedlock, as Ellen went to Canada when James was 3 and would of been 45 at the time of his birth. (depending on which census you look at). I did not have the exact date of birth for James.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Annie McSorley married John Fitzpatrick on 14 June 1916 registered in Belfast.  I couldn't see a definite birth for her although there is a record for the birth of a Jane McSorley on 18 March 1889, mother's maiden name McSorley, registered in Omagh.  This might be her since the GRONI site will use one first name only.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
Just in case you are unaware, the R.C. Parish of Drumragh has its old BMD records online here:

http://www.drumraghparish.com/archiver.asp

Offline DMcSorley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
Ahha.. thanks Glensman.. oddly enough I found that site myself about 15mins ago after seeing David's parish was Omagh. Looks like I have found a marriage for Ellen McSorley on May 3rd 1898 to a Hugh McIlvenna.

http://www.drumraghparish.co.uk/tblRegister/ShowTblRegisterPage.aspx?tblRegister=544

Not sure on the remarks column it's a little hard to read. The record is about half way down the second page.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 15 15:50 BST (UK) »
Your people certainly don't make it easy.  :)

Looking at that entry for the marriage of Ellen McSorley and Hugh McIlvenna, I am not sure if the remarks in the right-hand column are for that marriage or the previous one.  In any case it is in Latin "Dispensation in Bannis" - Dispensation in Banns - then I'm not sure of the next bit but I assume the gist of it is that the dispensation was approved by B McNamee Parish Priest. 

EDIT
...or perhaps the second bit is "persoluta" which means paid.