Author Topic: Stuck Please help! Ellen McIlvenna or McSorley  (Read 8872 times)

Offline DMcSorley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck Please help! Ellen McIlvenna or McSorley
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 April 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
yes I'm pretty sure it's bally something and the transcriber would of written it as belli___
Ballyvaddan seams pretty damn close though there are so many bally's in tyrone and the language/accent barrier it could be almost anything lol

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 April 15 21:26 BST (UK) »

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 May 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
Looking at the actual 1913 passenger list, I think the person she was going to join was brother James at that Buffalo address.  Below the entry that has someone going to sister Mrs. Mary Vallentine with the Oakland address below her, there are two people that were going to join a daughter with a ditto mark and then a sister with a ditto mark.  On the previous page, it has 3 members of the Ramsay family going to Oakland, California.

The 1910 census has a James Mulvenna living at 199 Winona Street in Buffalo.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M57Y-65K

Offline DMcSorley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 May 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
wow... that would make some sense wouldn't it:) thank you shelly... now I wonder if I can verify whether it is her brother in-law or her actual brother. lol

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 May 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
On www.fultonhistory.com, there are a lot of Buffalo newspapers.  There are obituaries for James Mulvenna & Rose McCann Mulvenna.  James died 8 Mar. 1940.  No parents, siblings, or place of birth mentioned.  Rose died 3 Feb. 1943 and was noted to be the sister of Mrs. Sarah O'Boyle & Mrs. Margaret McMullen. 

Possible WWI draft registration card for their son Patrick:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-26511-29643-81?cc=1968530

Maybe they changed McIlvenna to Mulvenna?