Author Topic: Daniel and Hugh McCorriston from Ireland to Kamalo, Molokai in the 1850's Hawaii  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Molokai mission

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking to trace relatives of Daniel and Hugh McCorriston.  They came from Ireland to Kamalo, Molokai in the 1850's.  My husband is from Daniel's daughter Sarah McCorriston's family line.  She married Edward Dunn and had several children, including a daughter named Harriet Dunn (who is my husband's grandmother).  One of Sarah's sisters was Maggie McCorriston, who married Otto Meyer.  I am trying to get the family history documented for the sake of my kids.  Thanks for any help.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Hugh McCorriston of Molokai
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

For those not in the know - Molokai is in Hawaii.

Your dates are before Civil Registration began in Ireland, so you will be dependent on Parish Registers.
And for that you need to know from which townland or parish they came from, and to which religious denomination they belonged.

Have you exhausted all local records?
Did they arrive in Hawaii via the United States? If so, are there any immigration records available for them?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Hugh McCorriston of Molokai
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
There are some Census for the Family on Familysearch.Org.

According to the 1910;
Daniel was born c 1842 and immigrated 1863

If Hugh married Margaret then she arrived 1873 and Hugh 1870 which means they probably married in the US or Hawaii.
I have no idea what US/Hawaiian Marriages Certs would contain.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Hugh McCorriston from Ireland to Kamalo, Molokai in the 1850's Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
replying on behalf of Molokai mission, who has clicked on the wrong button.

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I know that they were Catholic and from Derry, Ireland.  I don't know how they entered the U.S., just that they were originally on their way to Australia and ended up staying in Hawaii (for reasons unknown).  That's about it.

Thanks.

There is a relative I have heard of named Gerald McGill who is in Derry, Ireland.  I think he is a historian and knows a lot about Daniel and Ann McCorriston's relatives that stayed in Ireland.  I believe he is a member of your sight and I was hoping to find him so I could try to get more info from him.

Thanks.
Christy
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Hugh McCorriston from Ireland to Kamalo, Molokai in the 1850's
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
It's not really clear if you are looking for descendants of the brothers or connections in Ireland or perhaps both?

There seems, according to this article, a sister that stayed in Ireland but unfortunately her name isn't given-
http://boards.tiscali.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.ireland.general/37954/mb.ashx?pnt=1

However, there is a clue to where in Ireland they came from on Hugh McCorriston's gravestone which says he was born 24 Dec.1836 in County Derry, Ireland!

Added- was searching online and typing out the above as Sarah posted your reply. It really is best to give us as much information as you can so we can help you. This means telling us what you've already found and exactly what you'd like help with.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Hugh McCorriston from Ireland to Kamalo, Molokai in the 1850's Hawaii
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Gerard McGills message

http://boards.ancestry.com.au/localities.britisles.ireland.general/9516.4561.1/mb.ashx

"My Great Grandmother Catherine McCorriston Married my Great Grandfather William McGill at St.Aidan's RC Church Magilligan Co Derry in 1869 they were both 20 years old I have been told that two of her Brothers
Daniel and Hugh McCorriston emigrated to America and Ended up in Moloki Island Hawaii"

He is here username - Duncrunson
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=522729.msg4715062#msg4715062
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
Join http://http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org to see the original document by searching for Hugh McCorriston (it is free)

McCorriston, Hugh
Ships name California
Arrival Date December 29th, 1908
Port of Departure Londonderry
Port of Arrival New York

Ticket paid for by Uncle Daniel McCorriston of Honolulu born - Magilligan
Travelling with a sister? Mary Drummond 341 York Street Jersey born - Ballyshannon

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is of interest or if this is another branch of the family.

The Hawaiian Star (Honolulu)
24 June 1899 (Saturday)

DANIEL  MCCORRISTON DEAD.
------------------
A Resident of the Islands for Thirty-five Years.
------------------
Daniel McCorriston died at his residence on Fort street this morning at 4:30 o'clock of Bright's
disease.  He had suffered from this malady for some time, but at the end death came suddenly.

The funeral will be held from the Roman Catholic Cathedral at 3:30 o'clock tomorrow. The interment will be in the Catholic cemetery. The Knights of Pythias, of which organization he had long been a member, will attend the funeral in a body.

Daniel McCorriston was born in Co'eraine, Ireland, February 15, 1845. He came to the Islands October 19, 1864.  October 26, 1874, he married Miss Jane Johnson, sister of Mrs. Fanny Love and of Frederick Johnson. She with five children, three daughters and two sons, survive him.  Two cousins, Hugh and Daniel McCorriston, reside at Molokai, and a brother, Hugh, lives in San Francisco.

The deceased was for many years a member of the volunteer Fire Department and at the time of his death was one of the oldest members of that organization.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
... Daniel McCorriston was born in Co'eraine, Ireland, February 15, 1845. ... Two cousins, Hugh and Daniel McCorriston, reside at Molokai, and a brother, Hugh, lives in San Francisco.

'Co'eraine' is Coleraine in Co. Londonderry, Ireland which fits with Hugh's gravestone giving him as born Co. Derry.
There is more Irish information likely to be found, if that's what the OP is interested in, but I won't bother posting more until Molokai mission bothers to respond to all these posts (they've been online in May so presumably have seen all but the ones today).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!