Author Topic: Look up please -James Callaghan b1873 Graine (Grean) Urlingford County Kilkenny  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
Hi  :D
I have been searching for the birth of my GGrandfather James Callaghan for 9 years now and I refuse to give in but I need help, his birth details must be somewhere out there mustn't they?  ???

According to his British Army records he stated he was born in Grean (which I believe is Graine) Urlingford 1873, he went to prison in Cork in 1899 and the prison records contain the same information yet I have searched all possible avenues to my knowledge and still I cannot find his birth.
I would love to be able to send for his birth cert confirming his mother as Bridget Armstrong & father John Callaghan.
The only other thing I have confirming his age is his headstone and the the Irish census.

If anyone could do a look up for my James Id be grateful.
Regards Patzy.
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.
Urlingford town & Urlingford parish. Co.Kilkenny. Ireland.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please -James Callaghan b1873 Graine (Grean) Urlingford County Kilkenny
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again & thanks Dathai, we've been in touch before some years ago!

Ok the tree on LDS is my cousins and we have a few conflicting dates  :'(  anyhow I get frustrated and put my GGrandfather away in my filing draw and every now and then try to relight my fire hoping something new will have appeared haha but no.

I now believe that the 2 children born to Bridget Armstrong & MICHEAL (not James) Callaghan are my GGrandfathers siblings.
I found Bridget's death in 1907 Urlingford so I sent for the certificate which states her daughter Katy/Catherine as witness. Also found Bridget & Katy are living together in the 1901 census Urlingford.

I could send for either Katy or Johns birth cert but Im not sure if Id be wasting my my money, whats your thoughts?
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.
Urlingford town & Urlingford parish. Co.Kilkenny. Ireland.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please -James Callaghan b1873 Graine (Grean) Urlingford County Kilkenny
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
I presume you have his marriage cert to Margaret Nolan 1900
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYCB-4NY
if you have this does it give his father as John.
He seems to differ by 9 years as to age on the census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kilkenny/Urlingford/New_Road/1456832/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kilkenny/Urlingford/Urlingford_Town/533297/

i dont see any point in getting John or Catherine's birth cert as you can see their parents names on the above Birth's and Baptism's,the only extra info would be their address.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
If Bridget was genuinely in her eighties in 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kilkenny/Urlingford/New_Road/1456841/

she would have been in her fifties in the 1870s not impossible to have given birth to James at that age but highly unlikely.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
There is also the good possibility that Bridget and her husband had more children prior to 1864.
James may not be registered but that doesent particularly mean he was'nt baptised maybe if you could find John and Catherines baptism's on microfilm you could find more and possibly James.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Also leaving the conflict with the fathers name out of it how did you come across the mother's name as Bridget Armstrong.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
Kate Callaghan married Michael Taylor in 1893
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/f4eead10252311
have you got this marriage cert to compare fathers names.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 April 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
last but not least when did he join up could there have been any sort of age restrictions involved causing him to say he was a lot younger so he could join up.