Author Topic: John James Ferguson born circa 1864  (Read 6814 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John James Ferguson born circa 1864
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 April 15 03:57 BST (UK) »
THANKS to Br1gau and Forfarian  :) :) :)  You guys are certainly great detectives!  :D

I have attached the death registration of Mary Toner aka Mrs. William Kerrigan/Carrigan/Calligan aka Mrs. James Rourke/O'Rourke aka Mrs.Terrence Ferguson!! The mother of one John (Rourke) Ferguson born 1861 who could quite probably be the one and the same John James Ferguson that I am looking for.  Stay tuned - although I am not sure we will ever have definitive proof  ;)

Regardless this has been quite the hunt and one for the books if you ask me!

My oh my this lady sure got around!!!  3 Children (Margaret Carrigan; John Rourke; Mary Ann Ferguson) from three different marriages and fathers but all three children take the Ferguson name.

I found the death for Husband #2 James Rourke, 1863, as he is James O'Rourke on the death registration!!

Yet, so far no Terrence Ferguson's death  :P   Thinking now that he maybe went by another forename or at minimum his death is registered under a different forename. As Br1gau discovered, on one of her two marriages their daughter Margaret mentions  "William James" Ferguson not "Terrance" Ferguson.

So back to that marriage of John Ferguson and Agnes Croan ... is this really John Rourke?????  Anybody hazard a guess  ;)
WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
My guess would be that John James Ferguson is indeed John Rourke. But as to proving it without question ....

I wonder if Terrence might have died in Ireland?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 April 15 10:00 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Terence Ferguson is again boarding.  In the same house is Bernard Ferguson, transcribed Barnard b. 1835 Ireland.  Possibly a brother?  If so there is a family tree for him with wife, Sarah & parents Hugh Ferguson (1807 - 1859) & Agnes McMillan/Mullan/McMulkin (1811-1877).  Bernard also has a sister, Elizabeth (1835-1904) who married John Tollan in 1852.  Maybe a connection to Terence  :) or maybe not  :(

Sort of overlooked this.

I hope the following births (from the IGI) are a red herring
Catherine Ferguson, born 16 November 1857, Glasgow, Terence Ferguson and Agnes Ferguson
Andrew Ferguson, born 26 October 1867, Tarns Ferguson and Ann Dolan
Bridget Ferguson, born 25 February 1874, Paisley, Terence Ferguson and Ann Dollan   
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
This is the 'other' Terrence Ferguson that dies 1895 in Renfrew (the only Death I could find for a Terrence Ferguson) so I thought it must be my guy and got the death registration. Obviously it was not ....

Married to Ann Dolan - Parents listed as Andrew Ferguson and Ann McG** - Profession listed as Coal Miner.

Definitely not the same Terrence that married Mary Toner
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 April 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
This is the 'other' Terrence Ferguson that dies 1895 in Renfrew

Phew! That is a great relief :)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
I wanted to share with you all a new break in this never ending story....  :)

Thanks in a very large part to Millmoor (William)  :-*

Well, it seems one John Ferguson, born 1861 as John Rourke, son of James Rourke and Mary Toner, step son of Terrence Ferguson and husband to Agnes Croan. Seaman merchant service and seemingly lost after the 1901 census has been found ...

Millmoor found him in the seaman merchant service records ...both records stamped from Sunderland England Office
First a document in 1924 where John has changed his name from Ferguson to Rourke  :o
Then his discharge in 1928 (says again changed name from Ferguson to Rourke)
Date of birth on both 1861 Glasgow ....

So John went back to his birth surname after all those years of being Ferguson, even marrying as Ferguson and all his children and grandchildren and ancestors carrying the Ferguson last name!!!! I know some family who will not be happy giving up the Ferguson  ;D

Obviously by Agnes' death in 1916 his family presumes he was dead or they knew they had been abandoned by him?

John obviously left them in Edinburgh and never went back ... Millmoor found a death that might match in Sunderland 1935.

Could this story get anymore unbelievable ????

Thanks so much to Forfarian, Br1gau and Millmoor you guys really have outdone yourselves here...and I not sure without all your pooled efforts whether this would have EVER been solved!!!

WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
Brilliant news, and extremely well done millmor for sleuthing out those records  :D

I must admit to getting a bit frustrated last week, but at the same time fascinated by all the convolutions.  Also worried that you had gobbled up so many SP credits on what was at the time, an unprovable theory.  But it seems to have come together.  Let's hope the death  cert is the right one.

And yes, definitely off to the Deed Poll office for all those John James Rourke / Ferguson descendants.

Thanks for the update, LUV.  Do keep us all posted.  :)

Regards,
brigau

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
Great! It's good to see that you have the answer at last. What an amazing story!

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Just as an afterthought. 

John would have needed his birth record as proof of identity and age in order to register for the old age pension due to him Sep 1926.  Possibly it was for this reason he reverted to his birth name?

ADDED: National Health Insurance Act of 1924,  Widows, Orphans and Old Age Contributory Pensions Act of 1925.