Author Topic: Elsdon Parish Register - CROSIER/CROCER/CROZIER  (Read 2874 times)

Offline toonerty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elsdon Parish Register - CROSIER/CROCER/CROZIER
« on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information about James Crosier, from Elsdon, who married my GGGG grandfather's eldest sister, Jane Noble on 24 May 1807, in Long Horsley.

I believe that he may be the son of the celebrated Margaret Crocer, who was murdered in her home (The Raw) in 1791 by William Winter. Winter's body was displayed on a gibbet after his hanging the following year.  The gibbet (Winter's Gibbet) still stands, although it is not the original.

In the book "The registers of baptisms, marriages & burials solemnized in the ancient parish church of Elsdon, in the County of Northumberland, from A. D. 1672 to A. D. 1812" ( https://archive.org/details/registersbaptis00goog ) I've found the following record:

November 31 1774 - Baptism of James, the son of Thos and Mary Crocer of the Raw

Is it possible that someone can check if this is a misreading of Margt or similar?

I have a little doubt as to whether a woman who gave birth in 1774 could be described as a woman "advanced in life" ( as she was described in the "Monthly Chronicle of North Country Lore and Legend" in 1877) in 1791?  I suppose, if she was 40 when giving birth, which was not unheard of in the 18th century, looking at other families, she would have been 57 in 1791.

Any assistance would be gratefully received, not only by me, but by the living direct descendants  of James Crozier that I am now in contact with.

Kind regard,

Phil Jones

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elsdon Parish Register - CROSIER/CROCER/CROZIER
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
This is the result from Family Search http://mcaf.ee/bpx1v

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 April 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
It's not always easy to differentiate between Marg. and Mary when transcribing.

I can take a look for you but it won't be till Wednesday - that's my Woodhorn archives day!

Christine

Offline toonerty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 April 15 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan, I presume that record was created from the same source I was using.

Christine, that would be wonderful.  I'm in no great rush, as I've been reading about Margaret for over a month now: a fascinating tale whether she turns out to be (vaguely) related or now.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 April 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
According to F/S Thomas/Mary Croser Christened a MARY, 13 Jan 1788, Elsdon also.
So I am pretty sure Mary is not a Margaret.

FreeREG has these Burials, St Cuthbert, Elsdon,
JOHN Crozer, 16 Sept 1763
JAMES Croser, 27 July 1766
ELIZABETH Crozer, 6 Aug 1773
MARGARET Crozer, 28 Aug 1773
MARGARET Crocer, 1 Sept 1791***
No ages or extra info given.

I personally think it is more likely James/John are Margarets Husband

For example FreeREG has this possible Marriage;
JAMES Crozer/Margaret ATKINSON 1757

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
So yes I agree from Census year of Birth, James is likely the Son of Thomas/Mary.
James/Jane name their 1st Daug Mary and 1at Son Thomas (FreeREG)
6 Children 1808-1822
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
www.familysearch.org also has William born 2 July bap 26 July 1812 s/o James Crosier & Jane Noble, Longframlington - probably older than Thomas bap 1816 in Felton though no date of birth for latter.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 15 07:05 BST (UK) »
The full entry for Margaret Crozier's burial entry in the DNPRS transcription of the Elsdon says:

1791 Sep the 1st Margaret Crocer of the Raw, Murther'd at Do [i.e. ditto, at the Raw]

It does not say "wife of" or "widow of" - do any of the reports of her death refer to her in this way?

There are many entries for women in this burial register which just give the name of the deceased plus the place, while some say "wife of" "widow of" or in the case of children or young unmarried women "daughter of". There is no guarantee therefore that the absence of "wife of" or "widow of" means that Margaret Crozier was unmarried, but conversely the burial entry on its own does not provide evidence that she was, or had been, married.

There were not huge numbers of Crosiers in Elsdon at the time, so there could well be a connection, but it is possible that Margaret Crozier may be a many times great aunt or cousin rather than a direct ancestor.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm that James Crocer's mother was definitely Mary

Christine