Author Topic: William Smith burial at Dumfriesshire  (Read 1742 times)

Offline krich27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Smith burial at Dumfriesshire
« on: Friday 24 April 15 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Chatters,

I have been told that gggggrandfather William Smith  b. Glenkill Dumfrieshire died at Lochmaben & his gravestone in Dumfries says 28th March 1845 aged 52 years.
No trace has been found of wife Janet (Scott) Smith. I would like to see if I can obtain photos of the headstone and would appreciate some pointers on where to head with this search.  I looked on the Roots chat resources but was unsuccessful.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Kerry Richardson

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith burial at Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 April 15 07:15 BST (UK) »
Try this link, there is a Wiiliam Smith, Perfumer, mentioned but you may have to scroll right through to see if there are any others.

https://archive.org/stream/memorialsstmich00mdogoog/memorialsstmich00mdogoog_djvu.txt

Seems to be a parish accounting of some sort, so good luck! A long shot I think, but we do know how long shots can prove fruitful at times!   Sometimes 😁😁😁

Modified to add -  sorry I didn't read that properly, you're looking for a photo!

Try Billion a Graves or Find a grave.  I usually just type my search into Google, I find that's much quicker that going straight to the sites to do the search.

I would enter into Google ..findagrave WIlliam Smith,  Dumfries and a date, and the same for findagrave.  Others may dispute this , but I find it much easier and quicker.  A couple of times it has even thrown up other family too!

Good luck
Jeanne 😄

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections