Author Topic: New York/Illinois: Nathaniel Charles Robinson  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Lynns415

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New York/Illinois: Nathaniel Charles Robinson
« on: Friday 24 April 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all, For about 5 years now I have been desperately trying to research my 3x GGrandfather Nathaniel Charles Robinson (in one census spelled Robison) (B:1823-D:1872). I know he lived in Illinois for the last part of his life, and all the census records I have indicate he was born in NY. However, there are no birth/marriage/death records that I can find for him, nor do I have the names of his parents/siblings or where they are from.

Here are the details I am most sure of for Nathaniel:
Born- Mar. 4th 1823 in Middletown, Delaware County, NY
Spouse- Married Emaline/Emeline/Emmaline (spelling varies) Sweet Oct. 8th 1842 (12 children)
Died- Nov. 8th 1872 in Buffalo, Ogle County, Illinois
When Nathaniel died in 1872, Emaline married Isaiah Rucker around 1877, but was divorced and moved to Iowa to live with her son Warren by 1895. She died in 1906 in Goldfield, Wright County, Iowa.

My hope is that someone somewhere can find some missing piece of info that can help.
Thanks a lot for reading,
Lynnsey Robinson

Offline Lynns415

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: New York/Illinois: Nathaniel Charles Robinson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hello all, For a while now I have been desperately trying to research my 3x GGrandfather Nathaniel Charles Robinson (in one record spelled Robison) (B:1823-D:1872). I know he lived in Illinois for the last part of his life, and all the census records I have indicate he was born in NY. However, there are no birth/marriage/death records that I can find for him, nor do I have the names of his parents/siblings or where they are from.

Here are the details I am most sure of for Nathaniel:
Born- Mar. 4th 1823 in Middletown, Delaware County, NY
Spouse- Married Emaline/Emeline/Emmaline (spelling varies) Sweet Oct. 8th 1842 (12 children)
Died- Nov. 8th 1872 in Buffalo, Ogle County, Illinois
When Nathaniel died in 1872, Emaline married Isaiah Rucker around 1877, but was divorced and moved to Iowa to live with her son Warren by 1895. She died in 1906 in Goldfield, Wright County, Iowa.
I hope someone out there can find some missing piece of info that can help.

Thank you,
Lynnsey

Topics on same person merged ~ moderator

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynnsey!

Welcome to Rootschat!  Hoping we are able to help you advance on Nathaniel  :)

In the name of lateral thinking, I've only questions I'm afraid :

What are the names of Nate and Emm's 12 children - and which of them if any were named after Emm's side of the family (if you know anything further back on her?). When and where were these 12 children born?

Did he participate in the Civil War?

All Census records you have:
Does that mean you have found him all census that  he was alive and eligible to be on?

He lived in Illinois for the last part of his life:

From when about did he live in Illinois. Do you have him living at any time in any other state?

Also wondering as to the source of his birth as the precise "Mar. 4th 1823 in Middletown, Delaware County, NY". Is this information he himself provided at some time and was recorded in a document he was present for?  Or was it provided by someone else, say from a death record for him or any other type of record, from one his children for example?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Lynns415

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 15 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,

Thank you for responding!

Here are the answers to your questions as far as I know them... The exact birth dates and locations are passed down information and I have not yet been able to verify except with census information. I've also added notes I found out about each person below their names in case it helps. :)

Nathaniel & Emaline's 12 children:

1) Charles Warren Robinson
Born: 7/23/1844 - Delaware Co., NY (verified by obituary)
Died: 11/23/1938 - Mason, Ingham County, MI (verified burial)
*Civil War Vet (in Dixon, Illinois) and never married

2) Hiram Robinson
Born: 3/8/1847 - Middletown Delaware Co., NY
Died: abt 1939 in Calhoun Co., Iowa
*Married Louisa E. Livingston and had at least 5 children

3) Jerusha Jane Robinson
Born: 5/10/1848 – Middletown Delaware Co., NY
Died: 12/10/1927 - Rolfe, Pocahontas County, Iowa (verified burial)
*Married Charles C. Buttz in 1874 in Iowa and had at least 5 children

4) Joseph Robinson
Born: 10/8/1850 – Middletown Delaware Co., NY
Died: 1914
*No spouse records, last known residence aged 10 in Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois

5) Mary Jane Robinson
Born: 1/7/1853 – Middletown Delaware Co., NY
Died: before 1938
*Possible spouse William Albert Tremaine, one child Marjorie but not verified

6) Thomas Robinson
Born: 3/8/1856 – Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: after 1880 (supposedly struck by lightening while baling hay, but perhaps it was Edward instead... no proof or burial info)
*Married Emma Jane (maiden name unknown) and had two children

7) Edward A Robinson
Born: 1858 – Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: 1874 - Mason, Ingham County, MI
*No spouse or child info

Lucinda M Robinson
Born: 1861 – Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: 1944 – Mason, Ingham County, MI
*Married Christopher Columbus Hine around 1881 and had 5 children

9) John Horton Robinson
Born: 8/8/1863 – Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: 10/17/1950 – Michigan
*Married Emma Jane Osterhoudt in 1888 in Nebraska, had 12 children

10) Phebe Abigail Robinson
Born: 5/10/1865 – Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: 3/19/1953 – Traer, Tama Co., Iowa
*Married George Irvin Robb around 1881 and had at least 16 children  :o

11) Daniel Jonathan Robinson-- My 2X Great Grandfather
Born: 6/13/1867 – Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: 7/25/1950 – Mason, Ingham County, MI (verified burial)
*Married Margaret Belle Knight in 1886 and had 8 children (one of his granddaughters living with him in 1930 was named Emaline).

12) Emaline Robinson
Born: 1869 – Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: suspected young death, no date

13) James Lewis Robinson
Born: 1/6/1871 – Buffalo, Ogle Co., Illinois
Died: 11/5/1921 – Died in Saskatchewan, CA, buried in Rockwell City, Iowa
*Married Olive Millicent Davidson around 1891 in Iowa and had at least 2 children

Which of them were named after Emaline's side of the family:
Lucinda Robinson could be named for one of Emaline's sisters of the same name
Thomas Robinson could be named for one of Emaline's brothers of the same name

Did he participate in the Civil War?
I have not found any proof that he served in the Civil war, but you'll see above that his son, Charles Warren was a civil war vet

All Census records you have:
I have found Nathaniel in the 1850, 1860, and 1870 censuses. All of them say he was born in NY except for one which says Pennsylvania (recorded as his place of birth on one of his children's censuses)

From when about did he live in Illinois? Do you have him living at any time in any other state?
I cannot say precisely, but his last child to be born in NY was Mary Jane in 1853, and in 1856 Thomas was born in Illinois. I do not have him living in any other state but those two.

Source of his birth as "Mar. 4th 1823 in Middletown, Delaware County, NY": To be honest, this date (and most of the precise birth dates of his children) was something I obtained through ancestry . com records. I cannot say how accurate they are, so I am tempted to just go by the approximate years on the censuses.

Thank you again for the attention to my post, if you need anything else I will do my best to get the info for you.
:) Lynnsey

Offline kroseland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
hi. I just found this post. I do have info for you if you have not already found it for yourself.  Nathaniel was married to Emeline sweet, in which they had a daughter Phoebe Abagail Robinson in 1865 in polo/buffalo grove, Ogle Co Illinois. Phoebe then married my great grandfather George Irvin Robb on oct 21, 1880 in grundy co iowa

Offline Lynns415

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi kroseland!

Thanks for your reply. I actually have all this info already but I do appreciate you're reaching out! I hope at some point to find a birth record or something that has info on his parentage so I can continue my search. As of now, my Robinson line just STOPS with him and it's very disheartening because that's my direct line :-\. Thanks again and if you find ANYTHING else please don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll do the same :)
Lynnsey Robinson

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 17 06:05 BST (UK) »
Could Nathaniel and Patrick be brothers or otherwise related?  Or, was it just coincidence that two Robisons lived in the same town?

1850 Middletown, Delaware Co., NY Census
Nathaniel Robison, age 25, Labourer, born NY
Family: Emeline, Warren, Hiram, Jerusha
[Image 22 of 78]

Patrick Robison, age 27? (22?), Labourer, born NY
Written under his name: Arminda Woolheter (?), age 7
Written under that, possibly different address Mary Woolheter, age 38, Elizabeth Woolheter, age 4; and on the following image
Mary Robison, age 29; James, age 5; Sarah C?, age 3; Edwin, age 6 mo?
[Images 3 and 4 of 78]

...Nathaniel was married to Emeline sweet, in which they had a daughter Phoebe Abagail Robinson in 1865 in polo/buffalo grove, Ogle Co Illinois...

Perhaps Middletown was a small town, and people lived quite close to each other, but four families after the Robisons/Woolheters were
Morgan Sweet, age 29, Labourer; and Mary Ann, age 30; Cordelia, age 7; Emerson, age 1

Was it also just a coincidence that a family named Sweet lived near Patrick Robison?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lynns415

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa! Thanks for this, where did you find the 1850 delaware co census? I'd love to take a look! :)

Could Nathaniel and Patrick be brothers or otherwise related?  Or, was it just coincidence that two Robisons lived in the same town?

Nathaniel Robison, age 25, Labourer, born NY
Family: Emeline, Warren, Hiram, Jerusha
[Image 22 of 78]

Patrick Robison, age 27? (22?), Labourer, born NY
Written under his name: Arminda Woolheter (?), age 7
Written under that, possibly different address Mary Woolheter, age 38, Elizabeth Woolheter, age 4; and on the following image
Mary Robison, age 29; James, age 5; Sarah C?, age 3; Edwin, age 6 mo?
[Images 3 and 4 of 78]

...Nathaniel was married to Emeline sweet, in which they had a daughter Phoebe Abagail Robinson in 1865 in polo/buffalo grove, Ogle Co Illinois...

Perhaps Middletown was a small town, and people lived quite close to each other, but four families after the Robisons/Woolheters were
Morgan Sweet, age 29, Labourer; and Mary Ann, age 30; Cordelia, age 7; Emerson, age 1

Was it also just a coincidence that a family named Sweet lived near Patrick Robison?   :-\

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 17:29 GMT (UK) »
You can see the 1850 census for free on www.familysearch.org