Author Topic: Margaret Beattie nee Wilson, m.1868- Help!  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Amy Gibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Beattie nee Wilson, m.1868- Help!
« on: Friday 24 April 15 23:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this isn't usual procedure, it's the first time I've posted to this forum  :P

Basically, I'm having some difficulties tracking down my g-g-g-grandmother, Margaret Wilson. I have official records of her existence from 1866 onwards, but, despite the information given on both her marriage and death record, I can't find anything about her from before then.

What I know:
- In 1866, she had an illegitimate son named Alexander Wilson, in Stranraer Wigtownshire. At this time she was working as a domestic servant, though for who I have no idea. Alexander's father is left unnamed, but the child's great-aunt, Mary Thomson, was the informant. Whether or not she was related to Margaret Wilson, I am not sure.
- Two year later, in 1868 and apparently aged 19, she married my g-g-g-grandfather, James Beattie  in Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire (his home parish). Here we are given the names of her parents- George Wilson (occupation brass founder) and Margaret Rankin (recorded as deceased). A possible relative, Thomas Rankin, witnessed the marriage.
- In successive censuses (1871, 1881, 1891, and 1911- I'm having trouble finding 1901, possibly because the family may have been moving) her birth parish is unfailingly given as Girvan, in Ayrshire.
- After raising a small flock of kids and grandkids (including my g-g-grandmother Grace Beattie, and g-grandmother Jessie) Margaret died in 1918 in Uphall, West Lothian. She was a widow of sixteen years by this point. On her death record, her parents are once again given as George Wilson (deceased by this point, but last occupation seems to have been as a general dealer) and Margaret Rankin. She was buried in Uphall along with her husband and their daughter Grace.

However, as I said above, I have not been able to find any kind of pre-1866 information on Margaret, whether birth record, census, or otherwise.  ???
Margaret Wilson is of course an extremely common name so this may be part of the problem, but I have worked away at this puzzle for a couple of months now without a single clue (I have even tried tracking down Mary Thomson and Thomas Rankine, but without much success). I may be going at this completely the wrong way but I really can't think of anything else to do and so either a fresh pair of eyes or someone who has any information on Margaret would be a great help! Or indeed, any extra info at all, whether before 1866 or not, just to help me flesh them out a bit :)

Sorry for bothering anyone, I would normally give up by now but the family history tracing is partly a birthday present for my Dad and this is the last thread left, seeing as I came up against a brick wall with the rest of the family (all from Northern Ireland and a nightmare to find!).

As I say though, any info or tips would be a great help!     :)
Thanks,
Amy.
Particularly Johnston(e) of Armadale, West Lothian, and Newbattle, Mid-L; Gibson of Uphall and Broxburn, West-L, and Co. Down; Armstrong of Pumpherston and Uphall; and Banks of Armadale.
Also, Aitken, Beattie, Boyd, Brand, Brown, Cunningham, Dennison, Donaldson, Duncan, Dunlop, Findlay (Northern Ireland), Finlay/Finlie/Finlaw (separate family from above), Galbraith, Gordon, Hunter, Mackay/Mackie, McKinnon, Rankin, Stewart, Torrance, Wardlaw, Webster, and Wilson.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Beattie nee Wilson, m.1868- Help!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy, no bother at all, and welcome to Rootschat!

Could this be your Margaret in 1861?

Thomas Rankin 67 occ Grocer b Kirkcolm, Wigtownshire
Margt 65 b Dundonald, Ayrshire
Margt 11 b Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire
Mgt Wilson 11 b Girvan
Geo Finlay 8 b Kirkmaiden
Residing at Low Barnultoch, Inch, ( Wigtown) Wigtownshire

No ref given!

I have followed this family back to 1841 and at no stage is a Margaret Rankin ( Other than the mother) included in this family, although oddly in 1871 their is a Margaret Rankin 32 unmarried grandaughter b Kirkmaiden with Thomas Rankin 78 and Margaret 76?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 03:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too Amy :)
In 1901 the Beattie family are in Northumberland at Newcastle upon Tyne.

James Beattie 51 mar joiners lab b Scotland
Margaret "      51 mar b Scotland
William           26 unm shipping clerk b Scotland
Grace             20 unm domestic servant b Scotland
Mary              16 unm Milliner b Scotland
Andrew          13 unm  scholar b Scotland
Thomas         11 unm   scholar b Scotland
Sarah            10 unm   scholar b Scotland
Robert Hamilton 29      Van driver b Scotland Boarder
ED 08
Folio 185
Pg 18
Schedule123

I cannot find a birth in the OPR'S and can't seem to find her in the 1851 census :)
HTH
Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 15 03:57 BST (UK) »
I just noticed that there is a tree on Ancestry for the family :)

As I'm sure you know the details should be verified. :D

I t may help point you in the right direction :)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
According to one of the trees on Ancestry Margaret Wilson nee Rankin who was the mother of your Margaret died in 1855. This is good news for you as there was a lot of extra info on the certificates that year ( the first year of civil reg. in Scotland). I've had a look at the certificate for you as I had some free credits on Scotlandspeople. Margaret died at Glasgow Royal infirmary on 31st Dec 1855 age 38. She had been born in Kirkholm, Wigtownshire and she had been in Glasgow for only 3 weeks living at 18 South Coburg Street. She was the wife of George Wilson who was a Hawker. Her parents were Thomas a Rankin , Agricultural Labourer and Margaret Rankin nee Cockburn. She had had two children - Margaret and Sarah ( who has died at 1 month). No year of birth given but Margaret was the elder of the two. The informant of the death was her brother in law William Cosh or Cash ? (can't make it out) and she is buried in High Church Cemetary, Glasgow.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:10 BST (UK) »
 :)Well found, I think the William Cosh/Cash is possibly the  22 year old in 1851 who married the daughter Jean in the above family?

Margaret Rankin again b Dundonald
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Baptism 29 Aug 1818 Kirkcolm, Wigtownshire Margaret Renkin. Parents Thomas Renkin and Margaret Cockburn.

Other possible baptisms for this couple are William 1830, Insch, Grace 1838 Old Luce, James 1833 Dundonald, Marion 1831 Dundonald, Alexander 1840 Old Luce and Laurence 1816 Dundonald.

1851 census Mull Farm Kirkmaiden  names as transcribed.

Thomas Rankin 51
Margaret Rankin 54
Mary Rankin 24
John Rankin 24
William Coash 22 Son in law
Jearsboth Cash 22
Thomas Rankin 14
Grace Rankin 12
Alexander Rankin 10
Laurence Skimming 10 grandson
Thomas Martin 7 grandson
Mararat Carrels 2 granddaughter

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:29 BST (UK) »
1841 Old Luce,Wigtownshire Mains of Park (adult ages rounded down in this census)

Thomas Rankin 45
Margt Rankin 40
Eliza Rankin 20
Mary Rankin 15
John Rankin 13
Jean Rankin 12
William Rankin 10
James Rankin 5
Thomas Rankin 4
Grace Rankin 2
Alise Rankin 4mo
Laurie Rankin 4mo

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Amy Gibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 April 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
 ;D Thank you all so much! I've been following all these up on Scotland's People and they definitely seem to fit, and I'll explore further when I get more credits. Honestly, I've been poking away at this for ages and had half given up, so thank you for giving me such great help- this definitely opens up new doors. If anyone has any extra info, I'm still grateful for that but these responses have been a real spark.
Just can't express my gratitude  :)
Amy

P.S. Regarding the 1901 census from Newcastle (which is also a MASSIVE help), does anyone know the best way to get ahold of English records- website or otherwise? I've never had to deal with the English system before  :P
Particularly Johnston(e) of Armadale, West Lothian, and Newbattle, Mid-L; Gibson of Uphall and Broxburn, West-L, and Co. Down; Armstrong of Pumpherston and Uphall; and Banks of Armadale.
Also, Aitken, Beattie, Boyd, Brand, Brown, Cunningham, Dennison, Donaldson, Duncan, Dunlop, Findlay (Northern Ireland), Finlay/Finlie/Finlaw (separate family from above), Galbraith, Gordon, Hunter, Mackay/Mackie, McKinnon, Rankin, Stewart, Torrance, Wardlaw, Webster, and Wilson.