Author Topic: Margaret Beattie nee Wilson, m.1868- Help!  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Beattie nee Wilson, m.1868- Help!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 April 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
Amy

You would need to use one of the subscription sites like Ancestry or Find My Past to obtain the 1901 census you are looking for. Alternatively many libraries provide access to the Ancestry library edition for free.

There are also some good free resources which might save using too many credits on Scotland's People. Freecen has the Wigtownshire censuses up to 1871 (the transcriptions are better than the ones I posted earlier). The baptism/ birth records I quoted are on Family Search. Also worth a spin are the Wigtownshire Pages on Rootsweb (google Wigtownshire pages).

Good luck with your search.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Sarah Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 January 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm a bit late to the show but I believe we share the same Rankin ancestors from Stranraer.
Alexander Rankin (born Ireland, 1791) and his wife, Mary McGhee (born wigtownshire) are my 4th great grandparents.
They had seven children: Alexander, James, Jane (aka Jean), Richard, Thomas, William and Mary.
They were Tile and Brickmakers and either rented or owned the Clasmahew factory in Stranraer. I'm still looking into this.

Richard Rankin (born 1819) is my 3rd great grandfather, he married Sarah Armstrong and later, Agnes Watson.

Richard and Sarah's daughter, Elizabeth is my 2nd great grandmother and sister to Margaret who married David Cosh.

They were a huge family and I'm still researching them...a few 2nd and third marriages, makes it more interesting!

BOGLE (Glasgow; Ireland; Yorkshire)
ROBERTS (Glasgow; Herefordshire)
McQUEEN (Glasgow; Canada)
COOK (Stranraer; Glasgow)
FLYNN (Ireland; Newton Stewart; Glasgow)
HOLMES (Portsmouth)
MOORE (Dublin; Glasgow; Ayrshire)
DUNBAR (Londonderry; Glasgow)
McGAUGHEY/McGEACHY (Londonderry; Glasgow)
MURTAGH (Dublin)
DOW (Glasgow)
DICKSON (Glasgow)
SLIMMAN (Lanarkshire)
McLERIE (Ireland; Glasgow)
McCOLL (Renfrewshire; Glasgow)

Offline Annickburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 May 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
I know I'm a bit late to the show but I believe we share the same Rankin ancestors from Stranraer.
Alexander Rankin (born Ireland, 1791) and his wife, Mary McGhee (born wigtownshire) are my 4th great grandparents.
They had seven children: Alexander, James, Jane (aka Jean), Richard, Thomas, William and Mary.
They were Tile and Brickmakers and either rented or owned the Clasmahew factory in Stranraer. I'm still looking into this.

Richard Rankin (born 1819) is my 3rd great grandfather, he married Sarah Armstrong and later, Agnes Watson.

Richard and Sarah's daughter, Elizabeth is my 2nd great grandmother and sister to Margaret who married David Cosh.

They were a huge family and I'm still researching them...a few 2nd and third marriages, makes it more interesting!

Hi, I see this is an oldish post but Richard Rankin and Agnes Agnew are my 3rd G Granparents through their daughter Helen Rankin.  I am not sure if Richard and Agnes ever married as nothing on OPR records. Could also be that they they had 3 children in total before Richard married Sarah Armstrong in June 1848. Perhaps the marriage/death registrations for Jane 1844 and John 1847 will confirm this.

I have just started my research on this family group so it is early days but basically Helen married John Blain/Blaine in Milton Glasgow in 1865, her daughter Agnes Blain is my linage she married William Guthrie Docherty in 1888 in Troon.  Their son David Docherty was my Grandfather.

McKinnon Eigg Rothesay and Greenock: McMillan, Brown, Blue, McInnish Colonsay: Docherty Blane Lawson Troon