Author Topic: Patrick Whelan marriage lookup please.  (Read 5906 times)

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Whelan marriage lookup please.
« on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
If possible would appreciate a marriage lookup attempt for –
Patrick Whelan (Blacksmith) and Margaret unknown.
I have written these names exactly as they were stated on the death certificate for son Michael, born c1843, died 1887 Victoria, Australia age 43.  I Believe Michael travelled to Australia as a single passenger in 1863 from departure point listed as Galway.  He was buried as a Roman Catholic.
As the name is so common, I’m hoping that the information provided on Michael’s death certificate by his wife, is not simply a best guess as I can’t locate supporting documentation.
I’m happy to order certificates if I can limit the possibilities.
Thanks,
PippaR

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Whelan marriage lookup please.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Cant help you with certs pre registration 1864 dont exist
But going through the 27 hits for Patrick Whelan on Griffiths Valuations circa 1855
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
if you click on original page after entering his name and Galway you might find one with a Smithy on the land which could help pin down a townland and and lead you to church records for that time.

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks, will give that a go.
PippaR

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,looked at parish registers for birth of Michael Whelan to Patrick Whelan & Margaret ??. I found 3.

Birth-Michael Whelan
1844 co Waterford
1844 co Tipperary
1846 co Limerick
* remember many parish registers no longer exist or are illegible so these 3 may not pertain to your Michael. You really do need his mom's maiden name. I found the following 8 marriages between 1833-1843 for Patrick Whelan & Margaret ??;

Marriage Patrick Whelan- Margaret ?

1833 co Limerick
1835 co Carlow
1835 co Waterford
1836 co Waterford
1839 co Kildare
1839 co Limerick
1842 co  Carlow
1843 co Kilkenny

*again it is possible due to missing or illegible records none of these are for your people.Also, the parents may have married prior to 1833, depending on where Michael was in the birth order.
If I may make a recommendation. Have you tried locating siblings records in Australia or any other family out there? Sometimes you may have to trace a family through other relatives. Also, where did Michael marry, as it may have his mother's last name on marriage records. Hope this helps,Kim

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps for this work you've done, it's appreciated.

I've tried all options in Australia to locate a marriage cert/date, incl. Hobart and Launceston govt. offices.  The public records office in Victoria has Michael arriving alone in 1863. 
One family tree on ancestry has the marriage date for Michael listed as 2 August 1866 but no source record and the tree owner couldn't recall how she got that date.  Michael (and Elizabeth Lowe) has first child was born 1866 and this is the ancestral line I'm chasing.

Similar story with another tree who has the mother's surname as Tobin, but no confirmation, and that it was a family 'story'.  This family moved to Scotland.

It's been a while so I can't recall if I checked, but probably did, to see if Patrick and or Margaret came at a later date.  I will revisit that possibility as I just don't know quite how to get around this.  From the info you've located, my best guess would be an 1839 marriage in Limerick but as you know, it's that elusive proof!!

cheers, PippaR

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 15 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I went back and looked at the Michael Whelan birth in Limerick. If he is your relation then these are siblings;

Mary b 22 Sept 1835
Margaret b 26 March 1841
James b 30 Jan 1844
Michael b 24 Nov 1846
Patrick b 9 Aug 1852

these all were in St Michael's,Limerick and the parents Patrick Whelan & Margaret Ryan were married there on 22 Sept 1833.
I looked at passenger lists for the time period of 1863 when Michael arrived and found that a Mary & Margaret both arrived the year after Michael. It would be worth having a look to see if either of these 2 ladies or indeed any of the brothers appear around same time. Kim

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Kim for persisting and pointing the way forward.  I've begun wading through the nli parish records since they came online a few days back and as it's tough on the eyes, short bursts only.  Will let you know if I locate the right family.
cheers,
PippaR

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 15 11:12 BST (UK) »

Launceston Examiner 31 Oct 1861
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38762929?

Michael WHELAN, apprentice blacksmith................(and there two years earlier)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 15 12:26 BST (UK) »

Can you please give all the information on the death certificate, Michael WHELAN, 1887 please.