Author Topic: 1st AncestryDNA Success!  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st AncestryDNA Success!
« on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:25 BST (UK) »
I just had my first ancestry DNA success today and was surprised (pleasantly) how close the shared ancestral couple are.

My great-great grandfather and grandmother from Fife (I'm Scottish) are the great-great-great grandparents of a man from New Jersey in America. This makes him my third cousin once removed.

I never expected to find anything even remotely close. The prediction wasn't far off: it put us as "4th-6th" cousind with a 'Very High' confidence level. I'm impressed.

Yipee!!  ;D

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1st AncestryDNA Success!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know. That's great news. I think we'll see this happening more and more as the databases grow in size.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
I'm waiting for mine , posted it sunday last and it has n't got it arriving in dublin yet. Fingers crossed it has n't got lost!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
Congratulations. Always good to hear about the successes. Maybe you will be lucky enough to be able to use that particular matching segment to tie in other matches you have in common.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 May 15 07:13 BST (UK) »
I emailed 2 people. Awaiting contact from one which seemed to point to a connection I suspected in Bilston as my westwoods were from there , at least as far back as I can get. I emailed another person who has a private tree and emailed back and it seems to link more to another Westwood line and my sister in laws westwoods, her maiden and married name being Westwood. We only know of more recent connections but did wonder whether there were other connections. There were big families and so anything is possible and I notice there is one name my sister reckoned dad told her was a relative, a very obvious stand out name. So who knows? Or is the connection elsewhere but as lots of names and places  in common made the Westwood name more likely to be related than is! Got some work to do I think.

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 June 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on finding a DNA relative.

Last year I through 23&Me I found two third cousins from my Mother's family.

In the last week I just found a third cousin from my Father's family.

I have had my y-DN tested, but so far no good results.
Galway: Treacy, Egan, Boland, Flynn, Cahill
Cork: Hurley, Barrett
Donegal: Kelly, Diver

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Congratulations and that's really great to hear.  I don't know why but I am still in the 'What's in for me' camp!  :-\ so I enjoy hearing about positive experiences.

I guess one day I might shell out.

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 June 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
I'm sure my fellow Americans will be happy that more people from other countries are getting adding to these databases.  Maybe someday, I'll be able to get a few more of my branches who came over when passenger lists were limited traced back across the pond. 

I'm an adoptee, and I recently did Ancestry DNA.  I knew who my birth mother was, but my biological father was a mystery.  I have it narrowed down to a family now, and there is a likely candidate who is deceased, but his twin brother is going to be tested. 

Even for people who know where they came from, you may be the answer to someone else's mystery.  Maybe your 2x-great-grandfather had a kid on the side.   ;)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Yes this DNA testing business is giving some people information and connections to their birth families. The only one of my matches that has been followed up all the way was someone in America who turns out to be a third cousin once removed from me. It is all the remarkable as she was born illegitimately and then adopted out. Since she contacted me we have done the paper trail thing and know who our common ancestor is (well actually there are two as one of her ancestors married a cousin).

I have several others at the 2nd to fourth cousin level that I may follow up in due course not least because some of them have possible connections to each other further back
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.