Author Topic: Leicestershire WILLS before 1858  (Read 3260 times)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leicestershire WILLS before 1858
« on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Is there anywhere online or on CD that can be searched for WILLS in the Leicestershire area before 1858?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Sally
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Leicestershire WILLS before 1858
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has some wills, with transcripts that can be downloaded (though of course you have to sign up to ancestry for this).

The National Archives site has a few more, downloadable for about £3.90(?) each.

There are thousands and thousands of wills held on microfiche at the records office and it might be worth contacting them to see if they have what you're looking for.

http://www.leics.gov.uk/recordoffice

Or give us the names - you never know, someone might already have a copy of something they'd be willing to share!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally
I search online and have often found them on TNA, got the details and then gone to the library to use ancestry for free.

If you are local to Wigston then you will find some there. In fact many years ago I was looking at a PR book and out of the front of it fell a piece of paper, it was a Will and with a family surname having only just began at that time my FH I had no idea who he was, so spoke to the archivist asking for a photocopy of it ( just in case he was mine...he was) and was told they hadn't got it catalogued, had no idea it was there, so a great find and I am sure they now have it catalogued and in the right place for others to find

I have also found this useful http://blog.findmypast.co.uk/articles/pre-1858-probate-jurisdictions-leicestershire/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Leicester Records office at Wigston holds a CD index, which is easy to use.

Alternatively, you can buy a copy here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mick.rawle/CD%20Information.htm

Hope that helps

Regards

TB

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions and links, your help is much appreciated.

Annie65115 - I had tried Ancestry in the past but this last couple of years I've gone over to Findmypast where I've found one ancestors WILL so can order that one from the records office.

iluleah - Thanks for your reply.  Please could you confirm if the link you sent me should allow me to select  'Start exploring wills and probate records' and this take you to another link?  If so, that link doesn't work for me.  Also, can you confirm all libraries have Ancestry where you can view all images? 

Truebrit - Many thanks for your reply and for the link which is very interesting.
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 17:29 BST (UK) »

iluleah - Thanks for your reply.  Please could you confirm if the link you sent me should allow me to select  'Start exploring wills and probate records' and this take you to another link?  If so, that link doesn't work for me.  Also, can you confirm all libraries have Ancestry where you can view all images? 

FindMyPast you would have to be a member of........ most libraries in the UK have free access to ancestry so yes you can look at images ( which are the only useful thing on ancestry or any website) some libraries also have free access to other websites which could help you such as newspaper archives, so obituaries etc
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend