Author Topic: Help with two Isaac Austens/Austins please  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with two Isaac Austens/Austins please
« on: Saturday 25 April 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, this relates to a previous topic I posted which I thought had demolished my brick wall - but no such luck.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=511508.msg3676588#msg3676588

From Sean's initial response I now had the baptism of an Isaac Tuppeny Austin in Salehurst in 1789 with parents Sarah Austen and Isaac Tuppeny although they never appear to have married.

I then followed my Isaac Austin through his wanderings along the Sussex/Kent border, his marriage to Jane, the birth of 4 children and his eventual death in 1864.

However, having just checked there are two Isaac Austins in the Sussex 1841 census with births around the same time frame.

HO107; Piece: 1109; Book: 7; Folio: 56; Page: 12; who looks to be living in 'Improvement Alley' in Ticehurst and born about 1786 and
HO107; Piece: 1109; Book: 12; Folio: 7; Page: 6; living in Sedlescombe born about 1788.

I know my descent is from the chap in Sedlescombe and don't need any descendant info about him but I do need to know which of these two Isaac Austins is the Isaac Tuppeny Austen mentioned in the bastardy bond.

The Sedlescombe chap died in 1864 in Brightling whilst the Ticehurst chap died in 1852 in Ticehurst.

Unfortunately I think they both married women called Jane.

Sedlescombe Isaac married Jane Walklin in Kemsing, Kent on 18 July 1807 and she didn't die until 1841 which rules out the marriage below as being a second marriage for the same Isaac.

Familysearch has a marriage of an Isaac Austin in Iden, Sussex on 9 November 1834 to a Jane Burtenstock.

Can anybody offer any clarification as to which is the more likely to be the Isaac Tuppeny Austin baptised in Ticehurst in 1789 please.

Regards, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with two Isaac Austens/Austins please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
According to the Sussex marriage Index the marriage in Iden has no further details other than both of the parish.   Not helpful!

Offline pwhhh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with two Isaac Austens/Austins please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I see that your post is a year old, but are you still looking?
I am also looking for the Sedlescombe chap, and so also have this brick wall!
Not sure whether it will help, or maybe you've found it already,  but for what it's worth, the younger of the two Isaacs seems to be in Ticehurst in 1851 (HO107/1639), under "Isac Austen", lodging with a family called Elliott.  Whoever filled in the schedule believed that Isaac was Unmarried.  If the head of the household, however, I suppose he might not have known.

pwhhh