Author Topic: Help with seeking gravestone info re potential WW1 casualty Bala/Llanycil  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission this week accepted Pte 241972 Hugh Edward Jones, Royal Welsh Fusiliers as a war casualty having gone' missing in action' 10 4 1917 in Palestine. Hitherto he had somehow been left off.

There is not a lot to go on to positively show where he was from.

One possible (if rather tortured) route is as follows:

His Soldiers Effect document shows gratiuity was paid to 'Widow, Olive'

A search of FreeBMD for a marriage on any Hugh Jones to an Olive shows that the only possible is  Hugh E Jones/Olive Carter Sept Qtr 1913 at Atcham.  (this is subject to the FreeBMD having access to all relevant material)  Link for search result =  http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Y Llan newspaper dated 1 8 1913 has marriage announcement of Hugh Edward Jones, eldest son of Mr and Mrs Joseph Jones, 34 Mount, Bala and Miss Olive Carter of Cound, Shropshire (this is near Atcham, both being outside Shrewsbury)

There is a H E Jones, Mount Street on Bala War Memorial. He is not readily identifiable on CWGC/SDGW/military records. [unless someone has info as to who he is?]

So, as you can see, I need that missing piece that may link 241972 Hugh Edward Jones to  Hugh Edward Jones son of Joseph Jones, 34 Mount Street. I'm not having much luck on the online newspapers.

This missing piece might be in someone here recognising him from their tree and having family lore to the effect he was killed in the war. Pending that though I'm asking if someone has access to the MIs for Bala/Llanycil area and for a look up for the parent/family grave in the hope that he is commemorated as lost in the war on that. The ideal scenario would be going to the street index, spotting 34 Mount Street and straight to the MI!!! :-)

1911 census for 34 Mount Street:
Joseph Jones (ca1857)
Jane Jones (ca 1860)
David G Jones (ca 1895)
Blodwen Jones (ca1899)

In 1901/1891 they are at Bryntegid, Llanycil and in addition to above are:
Hugh Edward Jones (ca 1887)
John Morgan Jones (ca1889)

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with seeking gravestone info re potential WW1 casualty Bala/Llanycil
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 15 17:09 BST (UK) »
I have found Joseph Jones, 34 Mount Street in the burial book for Llanycil parish 30 10 1923 and possibly it's Jane who is the Jane Jones, Mount Street 25 9 1913 aged 52yrs thus suggesting it was church burial not one of the chapels ones.

Thing is, I'm not sure which particular churchyard this would be. The one in Bala or the one in Llanycil.

Whichever, it's academic as I managed to track down an MI search for both and there is no recorded stone for them.

I'm now hoping that someone recognises the family.

Slight complication in that in the 1901 census the family at 34 Mount Street before the one of interest to me were also a Jones

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you are aware that someone has recorded information on all War Memorials in Meirionnydd. The information is at the archives in Dolgellau (ZM/5965).

I can probably get there on Thursday morning and check the information on H E Jones on the Bala memorial if you don't already have it.

Chwiliwr

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
That would be great. I'm a tad too far from Dolgellau to do the look up. Much appreciated. Whenever suits you.

Diolch

Gwil

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
Will get back in touch after Thursday.

Chwiliwr

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 07:28 BST (UK) »

Sorry,re-assessing data.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
In the 1891 census there is a Hugh E Jones,son of an Edward Jones,railway guard,living in Tegid Street,Llanycil,Bala who looks a strong candidate for being the "other" Hugh Edward Jones given born 1886 in Bala at www.northwalesbmd.org.By 1901 he has moved to Wolverhampton,and I can find a record of this Hugh Edward's marriage in 1925,thus eliminating this family as the source of the casualty.What caused me to re-assess is a newspaper report in 1895 of the marriage of an Edward Jones,34 Mount Street Bala,to a Polly Jones at Johnstown(?).

Regards
Roger

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 15 20:07 BST (UK) »

The entry for Hugh E Jones Mount Street in "Meirionnydd War Memorials - J W Nuttall 2004" reads as follows:

"Hugh E Jones Mount Street
24912, Pte Hugh Edward Jones, 1/5th Bn RWF Missing Gaza, Egypt, 10/4/17, (Death presumed to have occurred on or after that date) Age 29, The War Graves Commission can not identify him, therefore it must be assumed , he is not recorded on any memorial to the missing. Son of late Joseph and Jane Jones, of Bala, Merioneth. His wife lived at Penmaenmawr.       Brother of David Gwilym Jones, below."

The following entry reads:

"David G Jones, Mount Street
60942, Pte, David Gwilym Jones, 2nd Bn, RWF, KinA, F&F, 26/9/17, Age 23. B. Llanycil, Merioneth. E. Bala, Merioneth. No known grave, Commemorated, Tyne Cot Memorial, Passchendaele, Belgium. Panel 63 to 65. Son of late Joseph & Jane Jones, of Bala, Merioneth.     Brother of Hugh Edward Jones, above."

While at Meirionnydd archives, Dolgellau I came across the following inscription from a headstone at St Beuno Church, Llanycil.

"C006 Er cof anwyl/ am/ JOSEPH JONES/ 34 Mount Street Bala/ Hunodd Hydref 27 1923/ yn 67 mlwydd oed./ Hefyd am ei briod/ JANE JONES/ yr hon a hunodd Medi 22 1913/ yn 52 mlwydd oed./ Hefyd am eu plant/ ROBERT EVAN/ hunodd Mehefin 6 1893/ yn 2 flwydd oed/ JOSEPH HENRY/ hunodd Ebrill 25 1896/ yn 3 mlwydd oed."
Trans: C006 In loving memory of JOSEPH JONES 34 Mount Street Bala Slept October 27 1923 aged 67 years. Also his wife JANE JONES who slept September 22 1913 aged 52 years. Also their children ROBERT EVAN slept June 6 1893 aged 2 years. JOSEPH HENRY slept April 25 1896 aged 3 years.

Unfortunately no other children mentioned and sadly the two named lived and died between censuses.

Hope this information is helpful.

Chwiliwr

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 May 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
Roger

Thanks for that. I had noticed the other Hugh Edward Jones and it took a bit of effort to separate him info from my query. The joys of researching a Jones! Thanks for looking.

Gwil