Author Topic: Help with seeking gravestone info re potential WW1 casualty Bala/Llanycil  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with seeking gravestone info re potential WW1 casualty Bala/Llanycil
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 May 15 09:12 BST (UK) »
Chwiliwr

Great result. Thanks.

I'll have to review my MI source! That closes off that line of enquiry. Thanks for looking it up.

Re J W Nuttal document. I am trying to think of what source he would have used. At the moment I can only think it's either a) family info/family held 'official' docs or b) newspaper reports.

If b) then I'm having a struggle to match it on the online searches. Losing one son whilst another was 'missing in action' should surely have made it to one of the papers in 1917. I have always wondered if the online search is a 100% match in it's returns. Bound be some that are not picked up by the search facility. But to get nil, on two casualties that are brothers.....?

Insofar as my query is concerned then my conclusion is that it is most likely that 241972 Hugh Edward Jones is Hugh Edward Jones, 34 Mount Street, Bala who is the H E Jones, Mount Street on Bala War memorial. Whilst not disbelieving what he has written it'd be nice to know J W Nuttal's source to absolutely clinch it.

[The only H E Jones/H Jones on Penmaenmawr memorial can be accounted for locally]

Many thanks again for taking the time to pop into the Archives.

Gwil

Offline derwenlas

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi.
My mother Blodwen Rowlands (nee Jones) Mount St Bala,married Tegid Owen Rowlands
Eagles Llanuwchllyn.
My name is Geraint Rowlands.

Offline Nickycymru27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 13:12 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Owen Jones family of Bryntegid, Llanycil, Bala.   Their gardener at one time (living in Bryntegid Gardeners Cottage) was Joseph Jones.   Joseph and Jane Jones' son, Robert Evan Jones, mentioned in one of these posts, was fatally injured when a paraffin lamp tipped over.     He is buried at St. Beuno's Churchyard, Llanycil, Bala.     One of the Bryntegid children (Gwendolen Owen Jones) wrote a letter to her father mentioning the tragedy which occurred in about 1893.  I have a photocopy of her letter but the original is in the possession of my cousin.
In the 1911 census it was recorded that Joseph and Jane had had six children but two had died by then.
Nicky (I live in Llanycil).