Author Topic: Herschells of Montrose  (Read 5235 times)

Offline hburgess7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Herschells of Montrose
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 April 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the help.  yes I have the census record for the family at Hut on The Railway.   My ancestor Annie Louisa Herschell was born to Alexander and Mary in 1896. Mary died 1905 aprox.  the only record I can find then of Annie Louisa is in a home for destitute women in Lancashire when she was 16.  I cant find any other records for alexander, not even a death record. I would like to prove my hunch that they were travellers and as to why she would be in this home.  would the home have records of inmates still ?   I would be very grateful for any help as I have been hitting brick walls with this for a long time !
Davies  wallasey , liverpool

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 May 15 15:02 BST (UK) »

There is a death for an Alexander Herschel showing up on Free bmd for the 2nd quarter 1931 aged 85 in Newcastle which ties in with the 1901 census that *Sandra* found for an Alexander Herschel and his family.

Mary Herschel death is 1st quarter of 1920 aged 71 in Newcastle which also ties in with the census.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline hburgess7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
thanks . the alexander and mary herschell I am researching ..... alexander was born in 1848 in Montrose, Scotland.  mary was born in 1858 , mary reilly.. in linligoth, Scotland.  I have marys death..she died aged 33 in latchford, warrington..    the alexander and mary you have found is their oldest son alexander who also married a mary. they are on the1901 census in heaton, Newcastle on tyne.
the last record I have for alexander  1st  is the 1881 census in lythe, Yorkshire. I cannot find him after this ... can anyone help.?   could they have been, as I strongly suspect, travellers ?

Offline hburgess7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 May 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
There seem to be 2 Alexander Herschells , one married to Mary Thompson,and the other to Mary Reilly . Both Alexanders were born in Scotland , mine in Montrose. The other in Perthshire.   This is making research difficult. as some of their children have the same names aswell. Its very confusing . Any advice will be welcome !

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
Interesting thread! I live in the area and know Herschells in Montrose.
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline hburgess7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting.  Is there any way I could contact the Herschells you mention ?  Its the best lead so far  !