Author Topic: No baptism & vague death certificate. Is he my ancestor?  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: No baptism & vague death certificate. Is he my ancestor?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
Not had time to take all that's been written on board so not sure if this will help but...............

Sarah/Hannah/Clara/Una are same name variants.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 May 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Mary Jackson 3rd March 1815
Mary Jackson 25th Dec 1815  (perhaps the first one died?)
Thomas 26th May 1817
William Jackson 4th July 1819
Ann Jackson 23rd May 1822
Matthew Jackson 21st Nov 1831

I think Mathew may be by another couple as I also found this:

Diana Jackson
20 Dec 1834
Great Driffield,York,England
William Jackson
Hannah

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 May 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie, that's very interesting - how on earth did I miss that before?

My William & Hannah (formerly Smith) were married in Driffield on 20 Feb 1815. Their children are believed to be

Mary 1815 - Driffield (born & died Mar 1815)
Mary 1815- Driffield (born & died Dec 1815)
Thomas 1817 - Driffield
John c1820 (subject of this query)
William 1822 - Skerne
Robert 1825 - Skerne
Matthew 1827 - Skerne (died June 1827)
Hannah Elizabeth 1828 - Skerne
Matthew 1831 - Driffield

Although baptised as Diana I see that her burial in 1840 names her as Dinah, which was the name of Robert's youngest daughter (Robert is my direct line), so I think she may well be part of the same family.

Dinah was buried 25 Nov 1840 and Matthew is the entry but one below her on the burial register. His death certificate says he died on 28 Nov 1840 of Scarlet Fever so I think its a fair assumption that Dinah died of the same thing, although I'm sorely tempted to get her death certificate too to be doubly sure.

So all in all it doesn't solve my "John" problem but has given me a whole new ancestor instead, so a big thank you  ;D 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 00:40 BST (UK) »
Just been going back through all my notes and this posting and I've finally had a lightbulb moment.

The BTs have a baptism at Great Driffield on 4 July 1819 for William son of John & Hannah Jackson. I'm looking for a baptism for around the same date of John son of William & Hannah.

Obvious isn't it - I need to check the original records & stop being a numpty  ::)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 May 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, back to square one.  The parish register for Great Driffield confirms the baptism as William son of John & Hannah Jackson, whereas I'm looking for John son of William & Hannah. 

The only William Jackson from Driffield I've been able to trace is one born c1822, who I believe is another son of William & Hannah and was baptised 13 Jan 1822 in Skerne, before moving to Driffield aged about eight.  More information about him here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fbr/

He appears to marry his housekeeper, (Selina) Ellen Sheldon, but unfortunately I still haven't found a marriage in order to confirm his father.

So in summary I'm missing a John Jackson son of William & Hannah baptised c1819 in or around Great Driffield, but have two William Jackson's,  only one of which I can find in the census:

04 July 1819 Great Driffield, son of John & Hannah
13 Jan 1822 Skerne, son of William & Hannah

Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but as the 1819 entry wasn't written by the curate who performed all of the other family baptisms & burials in Driffield, could he perhaps have made a mistake and transposed the names of father & son  ???

Offline kathiejs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 May 15 01:17 BST (UK) »
Can you find any other trace of John and Hannah as a couple, eg a marriage, or other children?  Or even the death of either that would prove their existence?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 May 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Can you find any other trace of John and Hannah as a couple, eg a marriage, or other children?  Or even the death of either that would prove their existence?

Hi Kathie

I haven't found any evidence of John & Hannah Jackson as a couple in Driffield - ie no marriage or other children being baptised - although there are other couples of the same name elsewhere in Yorkshire. 

However, I'm now following a second William Jackson who also claims to have been born in Driffield around the right time.  In 1851, 61 & 81 he is working as a shepherd in the Bridlington area.  I suspect his parents are Thomas & Ann Jackson but so far haven't been able to prove this.

So as it stands I have baptisms for two William Jacksons (1819 son of John & Hannah and 1822 son of William & Hannah) and two of them in the census claiming to be born Driffield c1822, one of which may be the son of Thomas & Ann - but no marriage for either of them to confirm who their father's were.    ::)

My gut tells me the 1819 baptism is wrong and should be John s/o William & Hannah, but unless I can sort out the two William's - which is looking unlikely - the evidence just isn't strong enough to 'prove' it.  :(

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Actual entry for William in Skerne reads as follows, William son of William & Hannah Jackson, Bell Mill, Yarn Maker
gogogadgetlegs

Skerne is a village just outside of Gt Driffield. Bell Mills is on the road from Driffield to Skerne, so all three places are in the same vicinity. It might be worth your while looking at a parish map for other adjacent parishes and then checking whether or not their records are online.