Author Topic: Eileen Mary Sellars  (Read 8292 times)

Offline louise182

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eileen Mary Sellars
« on: Sunday 26 April 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Eileen Mary Sellars, dau of James Sellars, electrical engineer married an Australian pilot Philip Hugh Boulton at Hastings, Sussex on 30 January 1940. He told his father in a letter that she was 19 years old and a Roman Catholic, while he was C of E. Her husband was killed in action in 1941 and is buried in the Hero's Corner of Alperton Cemetery in London. We believe that Eileen Mary Boulton nee Sellars may have remarried after the war and it's also possible that she died quite young. (Family legend says so.)

The family in Australia has a photo of Eileen tending Philip's grave post WW2, accompanied by her unnamed son. He looks so much like Philip Boulton that we wonder if this boy was Philip's son. If so, he'd be the last in his line of the Boulton family and we'd like to find him or his children, to pass on many family stories, letters etc. I have many pictures of Philip Hugh Boulton as a baby and young child and have written a book using the Great War letters of Philip Hugh Boulton's father, Dr Nigel Philip Boulton. The child with Eileen in the post WW2 photo may not be aware of his Boulton heritage if his mother remarried when he was young, but he presumably knows his mother's maiden name, hence the heading for this topic.

My specific question at this point is this - from Free BMD, the birth of an Eileen M Sellars is registered in Driffield in the Dec Qtr of 1920. Does anyone have a parish record of the (Catholic) baptism of this child, showing her name as Eileen Mary, father James, with an occupation related in some way to electrical engineering?  If I had specific details of her birth, I'd have a better chance of tracking her in later life. Instead of just purchasing the birth certificate, I'm posting this as a question, hoping that the full message might eventually be found by Eileen's descendants.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eileen Mary Sellars
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:06 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD will also give you the name and birth of the son, in Hastings, 1940.

I won't name him, as he may still be living, and that's against RootsChat rules. ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
Checking FreeBMD for marriages for an Eileen M Boulton, 1944-1960, throws up a few possibilities?

The best bet is one from Sheffield (did she return to her parents?):
March qtr 1946
Sheffield district     vol 9c, page 912

Boulton, Eileen M
Long, Gilbert J

But also:
March qtr 1945 Brentford   to Saben, Ernest
March qtr 1948 Upton-on-Severn   to Henton, Victor G
March qtr 1959 Sodbury    to Evans, William G
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline louise182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for such a prompt response, KGarrad, but the FreeBMD records I'm looking at online in Australia do not provide that info! Believe me, I've looked and looked under every possible variable of the surnames Sellars and Boulton, and have also looked at the BMD index volumes a few years ago, when they were housed at the Family Records Centre in London. Can you help a little more, please?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD.org.uk online is the same in Oz as in the UK!

Enter surname as Boulton, and Mother's Maiden Name as Sellars, years 1940 to 1940.
The birth will then be easily found.

And remember that FreeBMD is only looking at the GRO Indexes - so there is no further information to be found.
Unless you use the information to buy certificates! ;D

For potential marriages, I looked at:
Surname: Boulton
First name(s): Eileen
Date range: March 1940 to December 1960

And then I only looked at those with a middle initial of "M".

Offline louise182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. While you are busily typing at your end, our messages are crossing in cyberspace! I've also looked at the possible marriages and the marriage to Gilbert Long seems the most likely, as I couldn't find any relevant deaths for Eileen under the other surnames. If she married anyone, and if it was Gilbert Long, then she may be the Eileen M Long aged 41 who died in Dec Qtr 1960 in Exeter, but if she was born on 23 Feb 1920, then she could have been the Eileen Long ( no middle initial) who died in Birmingham in 1971.

My primary interest is in finding out the name of Eileen's son. If you know, feel free to contact me via my website or Facebook (Google my name, as an author of family histories, in South Melbourne, Australia). Thanks so much.

Offline louise182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
More yet. Yes, you'd think freebmd.org.uk would yield the same results in the UK and Australia, but I can assure you that the search yields no results here. Who can explain that? I'm an experienced researcher and computer user, over many years!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
OK then, a clue!

The son is named after his father!! ;)

How very strange?!

I can't find it now :-\

Offline louise182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry - forgot my user name here was louise182 without my surname. It's Wilson. Louise Wilson.

Oh, your latest message has just arrived. Thanks so much. Is there a second initial?