Author Topic: Vickery in Jersey  (Read 7679 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vickery in Jersey
« on: Sunday 26 April 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hello, has anyone researched the name of Vickery in Jersey?

I am interested in Christopher Vickery who went to Jersey about 1854 from Australia. Dating back from his death he was born in London about 1806. He had a brother Joshua born London about 1809.

Christopher was in Sydney and the Hawkesbury on and off from early 1820's until he left about 1854 with his wife Elizabeth for Jersey.

She died there in 1872 and he probably left soon after for London where he died in Croydon in 1887.

I haven't been able to locate any birth record for him or his brother. His full name may have been Christopher Charles Vickery and his brother Joshua Joseph (he went to Sydney in 1841 and died there about 1851).

Christopher may have gone to Jersey because there was Vickery family there. He and Elizabeth married in Clerkenwell London in 1832 and went back to Australia.

There are Vickerys in Jersey but I haven't been able to establish a connection. I post in hope someone has researched Vickerys in Jersey who may have come from London.

Thankyou.

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Vickery in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi MarilynL,
Christopher Charles Vickery married Elizabeth Kelly in Clerkenwell in 1831 not 1832, on 3rd Feb. They are both listed as OTP and Elizabeth is cited as a widow. The witnesses are John Vickery and Louisa Anne Jenkins.
I'm a bit confused by your "went back to Australia" after the wedding. Surely this is the first time they go to Australia?

He is listed in the National Probate Calendar: Probate Date: 29 Nov 1887, Death Date: 6 Nov 1887. He left a will with a personal estate valued at £2,680 10s 7d so quite a wealthy man.

Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, Peter. Elizabeth was born probably on Norfolk Island in 1791. Christopher probably came to Australia early 1820's and they met in the Hawkesbury where Elizabeth's family lived - her mother was Catherine Johnson convict on Prince of Wales in the First Fleet and from St Sepulchre area near Clerkenwell.

Elizabeth was Kelly as she married Patrick Gibb Kelly in Calcutta in Dec 1812. She had taken her 2 children (born 1808 and 1809 in Sydney) there in July 1812 as their father James Ceronio an Italian American from Philadelphia was based there.

But he seems to have married a Mary Poles in India in Nov 1811 (I believe she is Mary Ceronio in English 1841 and 1851 Censuses claiming to be a widow but James Ceronio didn't die in India till 1860. Mary Ceronio died 1858. And James married again in Calcutta in 1823 - that wife died about 1850).

I don't know what happened to Patrick Gibb Kelly. There are references to Christopher Vickery in Sydney and the Hawkesbury in 1820's. Then there is the 1831 marriage in London. They are recorded returning to Australia in ship records - The Dispatch - 1838 but may have to and fro'd between 1831-1838. Records of CV in 1840's in the Hawkesbury.

His brother Joshua arrived 1841 and married Elizabeth's half sister. Joshua died of fever on NSW gold fields in 1851-2. Reinterred by family in the Hawkesbury 1853 and it looks like after that CV and Elizabeth left Australia.

They sure got around! But we have not been able to find or identify any record of CV and Joshua V birth and family in London.

So I am wondering if some moved to Jersey and that's why they went there. I have CV's Will - he was a business man in Australia. Elizabeth was likely about 15 years older than him.

Regards, Marilyn

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
Marilyn,
As I'm sure you are aware most of the London records are available. Because there no hits when searching for either Christopher or Joshua I can only assume they were [probably] not baptised which makes it almost impossible to locate them.
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
No help with why the Vickerys were in Jersey but after his death Christopher's body was returned to Jersey for burial.

"Christopher Vickery Esq died in London the 6th November 1887 aged 82 years, transported to Jersey the 10th and buried the same day in Mont a l'Abbe new cemetery.
Block 1, Plot 285, Graves S1 and S2"

From the records of Croads Funeral Directors

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 April 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Peter and la grande methe, thankyou for responses. Peter, yours clarifies and l g m this is new information. It looks like he wanted to be buried with his wife, Elizabeth, buried 1872 at  Mont a l'Abbe - most interesting. Regards, Marilyn.

Offline pvickery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking at Vickerys in the Channel Islands. My great grandfather Frederick Vickery was born in Guernsey - his parents were John and Martha Vickery. I think John's father was Thomas Vickery born circa 1799. I think there might have been other sons of Thomas and his wife might have been Elizabeth. But its early days for me so some is guesswork.
If anyone has info that would be great - especially if there is any link to Christopher Vickery and Australia as our Vickery clan now live there.

Peter Vickery

Offline IanS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 May 16 19:57 BST (UK) »
I think I have found them on UK 1881 census in Barnstaple.  He is 74 and a waterworks inspector (but born Swimbridge.) and she is 70 with no birth place shown.  It sort of fits because in 1861 and 1871 on Jersey he was a surveyor.
Vicary

Offline pvickery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 16 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi - I think I have worked out my family in the Channel Islands. My great great great grandparents John and Elizabeth Vickery left Milverton in Somerset to work on the Alderney Breakwater and/or Railway. They took their children one of who was my great great grandfather John. John married a Martha who I think was a local Guernsey girl (I am trying to find out more details about her). They had three sons John Joseph, Frederick (my great grandfather) and Henry Walter. I know John and Frederick were born on Alderney in 1858 and 1860 but can find no trace of Henry Walter. John and Martha lived their lives there and are buried at St Martins and Vale. Frederick, his grandmother Elizabeth, uncles William and Tom moved to Torcross in Devon where William owned the hotel. An Aunt Mary was also living with them (now called Mary Stamp) and she had her children with her. I do not know anything about her husband - maybe he was a Channel Islander. Frederick also had another uncle George - again I know nothing about him did he stay on the Channel Is or also go back to England? Frederick's brother John Joseph went to Devon.

Something that does fascinate me is that around 1860 two other Vickerys were born on Alderney a John Tucker and William Henry. They were the sons of another William Vickery an Engineer and his wife's maiden name was Tucker. I see a William married and Elizabeth Tucker in Devon 1835. In a 1881 census an Adeline Tucker is living with my great great great uncle William and is his niece. Maybe just a coincidence. John Tucker and William Henry became a Vet and Surgeon - whereas my lot were carpenters, labourers and publicans!