Author Topic: Vickery in Jersey  (Read 7714 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vickery in Jersey
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
If you look at old bailey on line there are numerous references to John Vickery giving evidence. As a police officer from early 1800s and later as the governor of the house of correction.

I'm not connected to the Vickerys, I saw this thread on the Jersey board, which I check regularly as I have ancestors from Jersey. It looked an interesting puzzle to try and solve.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 23:05 BST (UK) »
Lizie, thankyou - it was my lucky day when you saw it. I may have messed up the mesage to you as I hit "send mesage" before I typed it and when I tried again received error response - haven't used this before. I am marilynlong2011ATyahoo.com. Hope this is ok. Thankyou very much, Marilyn

Offline IanS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 May 16 09:40 BST (UK) »
I cannot find William Henry Vickery on 1871 or 1891 census.  He is on 1881 census as a nephew, a chemists assistant in Kingsbridge Devon.  Can anybody help

Ian S Vicary
Vicary

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 May 16 15:04 BST (UK) »
I think I have found them on UK 1881 census in Barnstaple.  He is 74 and a waterworks inspector (but born Swimbridge.) and she is 70 with no birth place shown.  It sort of fits because in 1861 and 1871 on Jersey he was a surveyor.

We have more than one Christopher Vickery here and confusingly both with wives called Elizabeth. The one in Jersey in 1861 and 1871 was born in Middlesex and married to an Australian lady in London. He died in Croydon (where he was on 1881 census) and buried in Jersey where his wife had died and was buried a few years previously. According to his father's will this Christopher is aka Brown.

The other Christopher was born in Devon (Swimbridge) in 1881 he is surveyor to a water company in 1891 he is a Turncock for the water company. He and Elizabeth are living with daughter and son in law Richard and Mary J Bowden (b 1851) in Barnstaple. This fits with a Christopher and Elizabeth and family in 1851 in Cane Street Braunton. He is an ag lab and among other children they have a daughter Mary J who is 5 months old. In 1861 the family is at the Quay Barnstaple and he has become a Turncock to water company.
In 1841 he is in Chapel Street Braunton, occupation Ag lab. I haven't located him in 1871
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 May 16 15:06 BST (UK) »
I cannot find William Henry Vickery on 1871 or 1891 census.  He is on 1881 census as a nephew, a chemists assistant in Kingsbridge Devon.  Can anybody help

Ian S Vicary

I would suggest you start a new thread on the Devon board to search for this person.

added
sorry just realised your chap was born in Alderney, so you would be best stay in Channel Island board, but still best to start a separate thread.

added some more
i think I have him in 1871. With John and Eliza Tucker in Kingsbridge (same rellies as in 1881) there is a William H Hocking age 7 born Alderney nephew. The line below has a Florence Hocking niece b Cambridgeshire. I suspect the enumerator may have made an error transcribing from householder's form onto his record. The whole page is quite untidy and looks like he was filling it out in a great hurry.
and in 1891, visiting the Cook family in Streatham.
Piece 459 Folio 58 Page 10

Offline pvickery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi - I can shed some light on William Henry Vickery born 1 Aug 1863 in Alderney. I believe he was the second son of my great great great uncle William Vickery. His bio is on line

http://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk/biogs/E004855b.htm

I am pretty confident about this as my ggg uncle was married to an Ann Tucker and their first son was John Tucker Vickery who became a vet in Lauceston Cornwall.

My Vickery ancestors lived in Milverton, Somerset, then Alderney/Guernsey and on to the South Hams area in Devon.

pvickery@hotmail.com