Author Topic: Vickery in Jersey  (Read 7712 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vickery in Jersey
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 May 16 09:37 BST (UK) »
Christopher Charles Vickery married Elizabeth Kelly in Clerkenwell in 1831 not 1832, on 3rd Feb. They are both listed as OTP and Elizabeth is cited as a widow. The witnesses are John Vickery and Louisa Anne Jenkins.

Two other marriages of Vickerys in same church in Clerkenwell

John Vickery married Hannah Day 19 Oct 1826 by Banns, wit John Vickery and Ann Nibbs
Phoebe Vickery married George Steventon widower of Edinburgh on 1 Sep 1829 by lic, witnesses John Barry and Louisa Anne Jenkins.

The images are on Ancestry, the signatures of the John Vickery (witness) are the same on John's and Christopher's marriages. So it looks as if Christopher, the two John's and Phoebe might be related.

added
Can't find a death for a Phoebe Steventon in England but there is one in  Edinburgh in 1834. If she married a man from Edinburgh, quite feasible they went back there to live.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 May 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
Marriage at Clerkenwell of a John Vickery to Elizabeth Nicholls 24 Sep 1804, the signature looks a bit different, the "John" is very similar to John Vickery the witness but the "y" on the end of Vickery is different as is the "V" at the beginning. But would a signature change a lot in 20 + years. And a bridegroom could be nervous, so his signature is a bit scrawled.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
LizzieL, thankyou for this. A couple of hears ago I found signatures for 3 John Vickerys in the Clerkenwell register and 2 looked the same - a witness and a marriage from memory. I'll have to dig it out again. I think the 3rd might have been the 1804 and I thought he'd be the father or an uncle.

Chris Vickery's second name was Charles so his father may have been Charles.

I have found 1 or 2 Vickery families but nothing definite to connect them or identify Christopher. I can only assume he and his brother Joshua were not christened when born about 1806 and 1809. There are a few John Vickerys - the most common name.

CV is still a mystery.

Regards, Marilyn.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 May 16 13:45 BST (UK) »
Since Phoebe and Christopher had one witness in common, she might be worth pursuing. She could be the one who died in Edinburgh mentioned on my earlier post. To get more details you would have to buy a few credits from Scotland's people. I don't know how much information a Scottish death record has pre-civil registration, but I doubt it would give parents names.

added
Tried some possibilities in the "other surname" field on SP, only George seems to fit, so it looks like the Phoebe who died in Edinburgh was Phoebe George.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 May 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Oxford Journal 27 June 1840 page 1 has obit of John Vickery who died suddenly on 18th June. he had been governor of Clerkenwell House of correction. It mentions that he had a son with an official position in New South Wales.
Ancestry has his burial record, buried on 20th. his age at death makes his year of birth about 1772.
This could fit with being Christopher and Joshua's father.

added
There's John Vickery's will on ancestry,  mentions Bow street officers, so same chap who died suddenly in June. Also mentions sons John, Joshua and Christopher, daughter Phoebe, brother James, son in law Joshua Armstrong. rather difficult to read.

more added.
After names of sons Joshua and Christopher it says Vickery otherwise Brown ??? And another son James George Vickery otherwise Brown.
It sounds as if they might be stepsons and Brown was their original surname.

then this sentence:
being my three  .... or reputed children by my late ....Ann Brown deceased.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 May 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
The will was written 1820 - so 20 years before he died.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 May 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
Leamington Spa Courier 27 June 1840 has a little more on John Vickery's death. It says he was generally in good health but had an apoplectic fit about 20 years earlier. maybe that was why he wrote a will in 1820.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
If you google John Vickery and Bow street runner, you get a lot of hits - quite a famous ancestor!

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
LizzieL, thankyou so much for all of this. I can't believe it after all the years a few of us have been searching. I don't have Ancestry and will see if the information is also in FindMyPast and Family Search. I didn't think to look in newspapers and hadn't been able to link the 3 Johns from Clerkenwell records. No wonder no birth records for Christopher and Joshua Vickery if they were born Brown.

This is wonderful news. I need to go over it a few times to absorb it all. Are you connected to Vickerys?

Regards, Marilyn