Author Topic: Edith Mabel Mackenzie  (Read 3297 times)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edith Mabel Mackenzie
« on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, as part of my ongoing ww1 project i am trying to look into the background of the women who served in the Scottish Women's Hospitals during ww1. Edith was one of those. She served as a driver and so far i think she might be from Fort William born in 1888.  I wonder if anyone has any information on her.

Alan

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Mabel Mackenzie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan,

The National Archives certainly do have a record of Edith Mabel Mackenzie, born 2 March 1888 in Fort William, but you probably already have her service records. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7228348

She shows in the censuses as being the daughter of Nigel Banks Mackenzie, a banker & Solicitor originally from the isle of Harris.  They lived at Bank House in Cameron Square which used to be the British Linen Company Bank and manager’s house combined.  Still extant, it is now home to the West Highland Museum collection; there are several good images online.  Nigel B Mackenzie was, without a doubt, one of the most influential men in Fort William so there is already a lot of information about him.

Edith Mable’s birth record will be on Scotland’s People, as will the 1911 census.

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for your help on Ancestry they have him being born on St Kilda in the 1901 census. Am getting closer to finding out about her background thanks to your help.

Alan

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
Oh sorry, Alan, 1891 has St Harris, I made a presumptive leap.  Shouldn't be too hard to trace him back though.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Both  :)

Extensive details on the family here www.highlifehighland.com/lochaber-archive-centre/wp-content/uploads/sites/122/2015/03/WHM.pdf including  :-\:

In 1872 he married Lilias  Scott  MacKenzie (1851/2-1914) and the couple had 11 children, including Nigel  Banks  MacKenzie Jr, Donald MacPherson MacKenzie, Margaret Elizabeth MacKenzie, who married John Frederick Rogers in 1916, Mary Helen MacKenzie, who married Henry Cecil Knox   Dick,  Agnes Cecelia Jane Mackenzie, who married James Hamilton - Gunn and moved to Canada, Margaret Elizabeth MacKenzie, Lilias Kathleen MacKenzie, Edith Mabel MacKenzie, who was confined in the Royal Asylum in Montrose, Frank MacKenzie and Charles Edward Stuart MacKenzie....

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, I wonder when she was "confined" and to what that really means. Interested if that was when she was an infant or later in life. Sounds grim.

alan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 15 19:06 BST (UK) »
Likely death for Edith Mabel in 1942 in Motrose (at the Royal Asylum likely?). She must have been there many years.  Maybe some clues from the Mackenzie estate papers linked above? Did see a reference there from the early 1930s for her and the Asylum which now make sense.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
She seems to have come home from the Russian front early, i wonder if something happened, i will try to dig some more.

Great help people,  brilliant thank you

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 April 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Seems she returned from the Russian front with a group of 4 other women all ill. That said the scenes their at that time were awful. Perhaps it left her troubled. Would like now to find out when she went into Montrose.